ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Subscription Options  

Help! Website Not Loading

Forums: Questions and Answers About Building Your Site
Created on: 11/18/09 09:41 PM Views: 1321 Replies: 7
Wednesday, November 18, 2009 at 9:41 PM

Hello,
I'm not sure what I did, but for some reason, I cannot see my website in Internet Explorer! I can only access it in Opera.

I've been making some new additions over the last few days and everything seemed fine. However, now when I attempt to log in, the only thing visible is the header and a black screen.

Help! Help! Help!

Thank you,
Kim

Wednesday, November 18, 2009 at 10:17 PM - Response #1

It looks like you have pasted some stuff from Microsoft Office without using the PASTE FROM WORD button. This left some HTML formatting codes in that are making the contents disappear.

I copied all of your contents from your Home Page (not announcements) and then deleted it (I restored it later), but when the home page contents was deleted, your website displayed in Internet Explorer. This tells me it is something in the Home Page Content that is causing problems.

Edited 11/18/09 10:35 PM
Wednesday, November 18, 2009 at 11:41 PM - Response #2

What were you working on specifically when this happened? Whatever it was is likely the cause. You have a lot of third party code on that page so it would be difficult for us to know what's bringing down the page.

All you can really do is begin deleting one thing on the page at a time until you figure out what the cuprit is. I'd start with removing whatever you were just adding. Sometimes these things can be caused by third party code that was copied and pasted onto your site but not complete. Other times you may have added a third party object on the page that conflicts with another third party object you've added to the page.

There's no really good solution here other than removing one thing at a time and using the old fashioned trial and error method, sorry.

Thursday, November 19, 2009 at 9:42 PM - Response #3

Thanks for the prompt responses.

Okay, the last thing I was working on before everything went awry, was posting YouTube videos on a Holiday page. I had a link on the Home Page that was an animated gif and linked it to the Holiday page. Everything looked great, worked fine, etc.
I sent an update to the class via Facebook announcing new updates, etc. but didn't receive any feedback, which I thought was odd. The next day, I logged in and all I see is the header and a black background.

I can see the site in Opera, but everything is misaligned. In fact, I have to use Opera to get into it to make changes now. Following your advice I removed everything from the home page accept some old pics and the announcements, which I hadn't made any major changes to. I'm basically trying to rebuild the home page. Despite these efforts, I log in via Internet Explorer and continue to get message "Errors on Page", screen stays black, etc.

Any other suggestions? Thanks again for all your help.

Kim

Friday, November 20, 2009 at 12:01 AM - Response #4

Select your home page code and cut and paste a copy of it into Notepad. With no text on the page at all, go ahead and save the page. Now preview the page in IE. Do you get an error? I'm assuming you don't, but if you do with no content on the page let me know.

With no error, go ahead and begin adding the elements on your home page back. Be sure to do it one at a time, and after adding each thing please preview your page live in IE. When you hit the object that causes the error let me know what it is.

Saturday, November 21, 2009 at 9:14 AM - Response #5

Good Morning,

Okay, I removed everything from the home page as instructed and now its visible in IE.

I will have to add everything back one step at a time and see where the glitch is.

Thanks again for all your help! I will figure it all out by process of elmimination.

I appreciate your prompt responses.

Sincerely,
Kim

Monday, November 23, 2009 at 10:31 AM - Response #6

Happy Monday,
Well, I got everything back up on my Home Page. Thanks again for all your help!

Have a great Thanksgiving holiday!

Sincerely,
Kim

Monday, November 23, 2009 at 1:00 PM - Response #7

And to you. Smile

Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.