ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

statistics

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 10/03/13 08:45 PM Views: 1029 Replies: 16
Thursday, October 3, 2013 at 8:45 PM

Is there any way to make the "Home Page Visitors" number, found on the statistics page, visible to all registered members rather than just to admins? I'd like to put it on the Home page.
Mike

Thursday, October 3, 2013 at 9:28 PM - Response #1

Edit your home page and type
Home Page Hit counter = $homepage_hits$

Then save the changes. It should work

Thursday, October 3, 2013 at 9:35 PM - Response #2

Thanks, Kyle! That worked great.
Mike

Thursday, October 3, 2013 at 9:45 PM - Response #3

How do you expect any numbers to be registered if you're not allowing anyone to view your home page?Sad

Thursday, October 3, 2013 at 11:08 PM - Response #4

Mike,

I couldn't see where you put it. Maybe you just tested it and then deleted it. Karen has a point that maybe if others cannot see the home your hit count will not go up.

Friday, October 4, 2013 at 12:11 AM - Response #5

Wow - nice!
Is there a list of other global variables like $homepage_hits$ that might be useful in various places?

Friday, October 4, 2013 at 2:38 AM - Response #6

[i]Yes. There are a few sites that allow you to copy and paste in order to get a free countdown clock of many variations. I don't remember what they are since my reunion is over. Kyle might know. I think it was Jack V. who posted it before. If Kyle doesn't remember, I'm sure Gwen has it written somewhere.
Barbara

Friday, October 4, 2013 at 8:31 AM - Response #7

Barbara,

I am not sure that your post belongs with this forum topic. It seems like maybe you typed it in this thread while it should belong elsewhere. This isn't forum topic isn't talking about countdown clocks.

Joe,
$missing_names$
(note, can also use only a year, such as $missing_names_1988$ for multi-year websites)

$homepage_hits$

$filevault_status$

Friday, October 4, 2013 at 9:17 AM - Response #8

You're right. Now that I read it over, I was thinking of 'hits' as all just plain automatic counting things. Sorry.
Barbara

Friday, October 4, 2013 at 6:54 PM - Response #9
Mike's Bellaire TX Class of 1959 site page.jpg

Hi Mike & Kyle,

Mike, I must say that is a very interesting page to arrive upon, when I visit your site! Sparks my interest and desire to learn more! I would love for you to elaborate on the purpose and goal of the manner in which you have your site set-up, please do share!

Kyle Erickson wrote:

Mike,

I couldn't see where you put it. Maybe you just tested it and then deleted it. Karen has a point that maybe if others cannot see the home your hit count will not go up.

Kyle, I like you and Karen Kelly visited Mike's site. Not being what I expected to see, I sat there puzzled for a moment while my thoughts ran from agreeing with Karen Kelly's comment in response #3, to... No, wait, this could be a POSITIVE ... 'Wow' this just might be a way to ONLY have the counter counting actual site member visits as opposed to members plus anyone including random search bots. But to further investigate, I have to ask the following questions:

1. Is Mike's site page we arrive at when we click on view his site (picture attached) HIS HOMEPAGE?

2. If this is indeed not HIS HOMEPAGE, then does this page 'COUNT the HITS' for his site and record them in the STATS of the "Home Page Hit counter" (for which the code is as you stated: $homepage_hits$)?

Kyle, please feel free to elaborate!

Thanks in advance for the anticipated responses! Smile

Friday, October 4, 2013 at 8:08 PM - Response #10

Marla,

You are seeing that page because Mike has his home page password protected. In other words, to see his content, you need to log in.

The $homepage_hits$ is showing the exact information found on the Statistics page. So it shows this number:19355 on Mikes website.

Site Created: 4/26/2010

Home Page Visitors*:

(this number is the cumulative total visitors
you have had since creating your web site)

Saturday, October 5, 2013 at 2:45 AM - Response #11

Hi Kyle,

Thanks for the quick reply! Okay, so I understand, that even though Mike has his homepage password protected, the page in which we all arrive at and see first to enter his site... for lack of another word I shall call his VISIBLE ENTRY PAGE is indeed still HIS SITE, so in essence... the $homepage_hits$ COUNTER counts all visits to his SITE, even the VISIBLE ENTRY PAGE.

Therefore, the Counter is not necessarily just a 'HomePage ONLY' counter, it is a 'SITE' counter. No matter which page you actually land on when you visit his site.

The title of the counter itself was making me think it only counted HomePage visits. Resulting in my hoping, that since Mike has his homepage password protected, that the counter would ONLY count members that accessed the HomePage via logging in, therefore would more aptly be representing member only visits. Wishful thinking on my part.

Thank you for clarifying!

Saturday, October 5, 2013 at 9:56 AM - Response #12

I don't know exactly how it is programmed, but since it is called "Home Page Visitors" on the Statistics page, it might just be related to the HOME PAGE visitors, not the entire website visitors..

Saturday, October 5, 2013 at 10:34 AM - Response #13

Good observation Marla !! I'm going to attempt to leave my counter on the "homepage" which is NOT password protected, and put on another one on a page that IS password protected.
Will I be able to do that Kyle, without any permanent problems that can't be adjusted (at least by you, if not by me)?
Barbara

Saturday, October 5, 2013 at 10:37 AM - Response #14

$homepage_hits$ will only work in an announcement or on the home page if I remember right. The same number would be shown anywhere the $homepage_hits$ code is on the website, but I think it only works on the home page.

There are third-party counters you can put on any page you want if you get the embed codes and paste them in the SOURCE page of the desired page.

Saturday, October 5, 2013 at 10:49 AM - Response #15

Hi Barbara & Kyle,
Kyle that was what I was thinking... not going to show the difference between pages for her if she uses the same counter.

So Barbara, here's a link to FREE counters that we might be able to use on different pages. http://www.freecounterstat.com/
Details on their site state... The registration is free and No mail address needed. You can choose between a javascript counter or simple code html. Our counter allows you to track hourly connections and visits to your website. You can look through our widget statistics details, full and analytic.

Saturday, October 5, 2013 at 10:55 AM - Response #16

Thanks Kyle and Marla,
I'm going to try it just for funzees. I believe this will help our friends, Joe and Mike.
Barbara

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.