ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Want to change the design of our site

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 03/11/14 10:23 PM Views: 701 Replies: 8
Tuesday, March 11, 2014 at 10:23 PM

We would like to update the design of our homepage, etc. Am looking at the 60 theme design. Is there any way to work on the design and new homepage before it goes live?

Wednesday, March 12, 2014 at 11:59 AM - Response #1

No. However, anything you've done on your site will immediately transfer to the new design. IE. your school logo, photo, primary school color, secondary school color, etc. will all be there instantly when you switch. From there you can customize in any additional ways.

Wednesday, March 12, 2014 at 4:16 PM - Response #2

Hi Patsy,
Of course, Brad is right about the design. If you wish to try some, go ahead when you do not see someone on the site. Instead of a long post, I'm going to make a video showing you how you can do this now or at anytime. I'll be back. Smile

Wednesday, March 12, 2014 at 5:00 PM - Response #3

Patsy,
This is an overview with my comments as to changing your design while the site is live.

http://screencast.com/t/Gr27c6JQ1O2

I will follow this with another about changing the home page.

Wednesday, March 12, 2014 at 6:56 PM - Response #4

Patsy,
Though I have a video to share, the basics in redesigning your home page start with using Announcements for most of the home page. Each topic and each cartoon is one announcement. This gives you the ability to turn them on and off at any time. It is changing your home page with just one click.

To redesign, simply begin adding one announcement at a time. You can move them in the order you wish to have them, as you do site pages. Enjoy and let us know how it goes! Smile

http://screencast.com/t/KcNcCKT3RQe5

Wednesday, March 12, 2014 at 9:59 PM - Response #5

I would not use announcements as a main design tool. For one, they reduce the available space for images.

Secondly, it's hard to coordinate a fluid design with parts and pieces made in "blocks".

Announcements should be ... announcements, not a main design tool.

Just my 2 cents nothing more Razz

Wednesday, March 12, 2014 at 10:59 PM - Response #6

Totally a choice, Jack. Smile

Wednesday, March 12, 2014 at 11:22 PM - Response #7

Of course it is. I was explaining the other choice. Smile

Thursday, March 13, 2014 at 10:01 AM - Response #8

Thanks to Brad, Gwen and Jack!

I basically just bit the bullet after Brad initially responded to my post and changed the design on the fly. Worked out well. Haven't received any complaints yet.

Will be reviewing the additional information for Home Page updates and ponder the situation for a while. Probably using a combination of static info and announcements. That's what we have now. Looking for input from my other local admins right now.

Thanks for all the input.

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.