ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Subscription Options  

Colored topics

Forums: Suggestions and Feedback
Created on: 11/18/09 07:38 AM Views: 1572 Replies: 3
Wednesday, November 18, 2009 at 7:38 AM

Would you consider making the topics number in a color? I am still having problems with classmates understanding that there are 3 forums but several topics in each forum. I think that if the number of topics were bolder or in color maybe they would find the other topics.

Wednesday, November 18, 2009 at 12:20 PM - Response #1

We could make them bold or colored, but honestly if you're having an issue with people not understanding you have 3 distinct forums I don't think bolding or coloring the topic number is going to universally make it clear to everyone. What I'd recommend instead is sending out a class-wide email explaining that under your Grizzly Chatter link you've got 3 distinct forums, and that clicking directly on the name of the forum will take you into that specific forum. Sometimes good old fashioned specific instructions are just what the doctor ordered. I think this is likely the only way you're going to have this issue be universally understood by everyone.

Wednesday, November 18, 2009 at 12:40 PM - Response #2

Been there and done that. The problem is we get someone new and it starts all over again. I have most of the class of 1973 understanding now but I have been working with the class of 1975 getting started and the same problems are starting to happen. That is why I thought if it was bolder they would notice it more and it might click. It's hard to teach old dogs new tricks. So if you could change it that would be great it's worth a try. Lord knows I have tried everything else lol

Wednesday, November 18, 2009 at 12:56 PM - Response #3

I'm not really opposed to a color, but the problem there is we can't pick a random color. If we do it will clash wish somebody's site and they'll complain (trust me). Thus the only color option available is site primary color, which I think in many cases would actually make the # less noticable than having it be solid black. Honestly I just don't think it's going to do the trick.

You've traiened people successfully already as you've indicated so we know that's working. I'd simply add this information to your automated Welcome email. That way you're not constantly having to hunt down new users to train them how to use your site. This topic and anything else you want your new users to know should be included in your Welcome email. I really think doing that is going to be far more effective than changing the color from black to primary or bold.

Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.