ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Subscription Options  

Message Forum Defaults

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 07/19/20 08:47 AM Views: 538 Replies: 14
Sunday, July 19, 2020 at 8:47 AM

I have received many questions from classmates concerning the drop down that allows the user to select NEWEST AT THE TOP or NEWEST AT THE BOTTOM feature. Is there anyway to change the default position to be NEWEST AT THE TOP? Small thing, but it is irritating to have to manually changed that at every log in. I did search for an answer, but didn't find anything.

Sunday, July 19, 2020 at 9:30 AM - Response #1

I don't see a way to change the default position to NEWEST AT THE TOP. Class Creator would have to change the default to NEWEST AT THE TOP, which seems a better option than NEWEST AT THE BOTTOM. Until that's fixed, I'd suggest you recommend classmates check the box "Keep Me Logged In" on the Log In page. I remain logged in 99.9% of the time, and have had no difficulties in 11 years.

Edited 07/19/20 9:38 AM
Sunday, July 19, 2020 at 11:08 AM - Response #2

When you change that option, it also changes what you see when you look at the In Memory page.
We've asked to have a Preference option added to allow choosing "Newest at the top", but that request was banished to the mythical "Wish List" and never surfaced.

Sunday, July 19, 2020 at 12:52 PM - Response #3

This is the way I set up messages years ago and have had no problem. Go to ADMIN FUNCTIONS and select Edit Site Pages and choose Message Forum you will see an option slot on the right side of the page at the top. That will allow you to "View newest at the bottom" or "Newest at the top" (via toggle switch). Make your choice and it will be automatically saved. Exit out. From that point on the messages will display per the option that you have chosen.

Edited 07/20/20 10:22 AM
Sunday, July 19, 2020 at 2:47 PM - Response #4

Sammy,

Okay, I think I see how to do it. After clicking on Edit Site Pages, on the Message Forum page, click on Preview. That's where you see the option slot to toggle between Make "View Newest at the top" and "View newest at the bottom." Make your selection. The change is automatically saved (there's no Save button to click on) and goes into effect.

Is this the correct way to make the change?

Edited 07/19/20 3:19 PM
Sunday, July 19, 2020 at 2:54 PM - Response #5

I'm confused. Are we talking here about the What's New page, the Message Forum or these Forums?

My website Message Forum isn't active as we all use the What's New page to say anything.

Can someone please remind me what the Message Forum does that What's New doesn't.

If I go into Edit Site Pages and click Preview alongside Message Forum I see an an option to either 'View newest at the top' or 'View newest at the bottom'.

Edited 07/19/20 2:58 PM
Sunday, July 19, 2020 at 3:00 PM - Response #6

I believe Dave's question is about the Message Forum page, as seen in the forum topic "Message Forum Defaults," and not on the What's New page or these forums.

Edited 07/19/20 3:00 PM
Sunday, July 19, 2020 at 3:37 PM - Response #7

Sammy Thurmond wrote:

This is the way I set up messages years ago and have had no problem. Go to ADMIN FUNCTIONS and select Edit Site Functions and choose Message Forum you will see an option slot on the right side of the page at the top. That will allow you to "View newest at the bottom" or "Newest at the top" (via toggle switch). Make your choice and save. From that point on the messages will display per the option that you have chosen.

Thanks for the info Sam. I went to Admin Functions but do not have an Edit Site Functions link, only an Edit site pages link. Went there and clicked Edit Page. I get a copy of the page with the drop down box, but no option to SAVE. Pretty much the same as when in the regular page view. Am I missing something?

Sunday, July 19, 2020 at 3:38 PM - Response #8

Scott Moore wrote:

I believe Dave's question is about the Message Forum page, as seen in the forum topic "Message Forum Defaults," and not on the What's New page or these forums.
Correct, Scott....thanks

Sunday, July 19, 2020 at 3:52 PM - Response #9

Mark Foulsham wrote:

I'm confused. Are we talking here about the What's New page, the Message Forum or these Forums?

My website Message Forum isn't active as we all use the What's New page to say anything.

Can someone please remind me what the Message Forum does that What's New doesn't.

If I go into Edit Site Pages and click Preview alongside Message Forum I see an an option to either 'View newest at the top' or 'View newest at the bottom'.

I am referring to the Message Forum, Mark. We are set up the opposite of your site. We use the Message Forum and the What's New is inactive. Everyone seems to really like the Message Forum as it is basically in a Forum format whereas the What's New gets a little busy for us. Purely a preference and it seems to work for us. You are correct about the drop down box that is both on the active page and the preview page. I just could not find anyway to have that default to the NEWEST ON TOP mode.

Sunday, July 19, 2020 at 4:08 PM - Response #10

Hi Scott,

Yes, I mistakenly indicated there was a "save option" - my mistake. Just toggle your option (it is automatically saved) and that should do the trick.

Thanks,

Sam T.

Edited 07/19/20 7:47 PM
Sunday, July 19, 2020 at 4:10 PM - Response #11

Dave,

Please see my last comments to Scott (response #10).

Sam T.

Edited 07/19/20 4:11 PM
Sunday, July 19, 2020 at 8:42 PM - Response #12

Thanks for the reply, Dave. I'd completely forgotten the Message Forum was still available as I hadn't used it in so many years. Glad you find it suits your purpose.

Thanks, also, Scott. Having forgotten it still existed threw me out of kilter for a while.

Monday, January 25, 2021 at 4:44 PM - Response #13

This doesn’t always work when you click on more... in the alerting email. Could it be that you also have to have clicked on the “Keep Me Logged In”. Not everyone wants to or can stay logged in.

Friday, January 29, 2021 at 12:19 PM - Response #14

My guess is that this option - along with other user specific info such as Keep Me Logged In, whether you're logged in as an admin, hidden user, or normal user, and more specific info is kept in one or more cookies. Cookies can be erased or altered for a number of reasons, and in my case, the suggested 'fix' doesn't work between logins since my browser is set to clear all cookies on exit.

There are also some other places where clicking on "More" in a notify email doesn't work. There are still some bugs in the login/sign-in process when clicking the 'more' is trying to take you to a restricted page/profile. Another example is a notify email about a new announcement when that announcement is set to "Logged In Members Only". Clicking on the More will take you to the home page - where the announcement described in the notify does not display until it dawns on you to log in.

Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.