ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Search within site

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 12/05/08 06:45 AM Views: 1574 Replies: 11
Friday, December 5, 2008 at 6:45 AM

Is there a way to search within the website for a name? Since mine is a multi year site, there a lotta names and some can't remember their frinds year of graduation.

Friday, December 5, 2008 at 8:55 AM - Response #1

Could you add the "WHERE ARE THEY NOW Box" so they could scroll to the name in alphabetical order?
There is a check mark for it when you edit the home page. Although, I'm sure with a lot of names, this will still not be ideal.

Friday, December 5, 2008 at 8:42 PM - Response #2

Barney Ball wrote:

Is there a way to search within the website for a name? Since mine is a multi year site, there a lotta names and some can't remember their frinds year of graduation.

Makes perfect sense to me Barney. Added to Task List. Thanks for that.

Friday, December 5, 2008 at 8:45 PM - Response #3

Beth Shaw wrote:

Could you add the "WHERE ARE THEY NOW Box" so they could scroll to the name in alphabetical order?
There is a check mark for it when you edit the home page. Although, I'm sure with a lot of names, this will still not be ideal.

"Multi" sites do not have an option to include a Where Are They Now box. In cases such as the Bensalem site, there would be a dropdown with over 25,000 names on it. That would be bad. Smile

Tuesday, December 16, 2008 at 11:45 AM - Response #4

hi,

We have recently started using class creator regularly, to keep in touch with classmates and alums (multi year website)
http://www.classcreator.com/London-United-Kingdom-London-School-Of-Economics-And-P-7612/

Is there anyway of adding 'search' feature s.t. one can search classmates or alums by their names, interests, location, nationality etc (essentially anything in their profile)? This is extremely crucial for effective networking.

Thank you !

Tuesday, December 16, 2008 at 12:37 PM - Response #5

The Profile Generator Under Admin Functions allows you to add questions to the profile.

Tuesday, December 16, 2008 at 2:21 PM - Response #6

hi Rhonda, thanks for your response.
We have added structured questions via the Profile generator. But my question was, how can members 'search' across data in all such fields.

For example, we have added a field 'Nationality'. Now if a memeber wants to search all classmates or alums who are say from France, how can (s)he do it ?

Are you implementing such a feature. If yes, any ideas on by when to expect it will be very useful.

Thanks.

Tuesday, December 16, 2008 at 2:29 PM - Response #7

You can search in the database, but there is no search feature for the classmate to do this. I will pass this request on to the right people and see if we can add this function.

Tuesday, December 16, 2008 at 4:37 PM - Response #8

Thx a lot !
I also noticed Brad's response above (December 5) where he says that he has added name based search in the task list.

Tuesday, December 16, 2008 at 5:54 PM - Response #9

We'll start with a name based search. Once that's in let's pick up the topic from there. We may add some more default options, but adding a search option based on a custom generated field using Profile Generator is a whole different ballgame. We'd have to add next to each Profile Generated question a checkbox to include the ability to search on whatever the dropdown answers are. All of that can be done, but due that being a significant undertaking, let's start with the name search. Smile

If we do something like this, we'd have to allow only certain question types to be searchable obviously. Like dropdown list or radio button answers. We could put a "Sort by:" option at the top of the Classmate Profiles page, and then list off any dropdowns that you've indicated should be searchable. But, again let's start with the name search first, and once the search mechanism actually exists we'll then discuss searches based on custom fields.

Wednesday, December 17, 2008 at 6:47 AM - Response #10

Great ! Lets start with name based search !!

I think people expect something like Google search to be available everywhere these days, specially because they can cut paste google search on their websites. But I understand that search within databases may be different compared to static pages.

In our case, many current students may not know Alums by names but may still want to get in touch with those working in a certain geography or professional area. Similarly, Alums may in interested in figuring out who has joined this year from their native cities, or in their areas of interest etc. So a general search will eventually be extremely useful.

Thanks a lot for all your efforts, and for your wonderful site. Are you also planning to start a paid service at any time ? We will be happy to subscribe to a low cost paid subscription. Or contribute in other manner Smile

cheers !

Wednesday, December 17, 2008 at 10:21 AM - Response #11

We'll have some optional paid features debuting in '09. Integrated live chat and other things. Stay tuned for that after Xmas.

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.