ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Right Module-Class Connection

Forums: Class Connection Bugs
Created on: 03/06/14 08:59 PM Views: 1027 Replies: 18
Thursday, March 6, 2014 at 8:59 PM

Right modules are ignoring the sorting order set in the edit pages.

Thursday, March 6, 2014 at 10:01 PM - Response #1

Click your Admin links on the app, then modules. You can choose to display different modules on the app, or in different order. For instance, let's say you want to run a poll only on the app, something like "Where do you prefer logging in from, web site or app?" That poll would only make sense to your app users of course. So you can choose to run a poll and only display it on the app. Or only on the site. Or both. Same thing with any of the other modules. You have total control of what displays in each environment. Note though, all data is shared. For instance, you can't run a poll on the app, and a separate poll on your site, at the same time.

Thursday, March 6, 2014 at 11:26 PM - Response #2

Oh, I didn't notice the "Modules" selection there in Class Connection. But this means we will have to maintain the sorting order on both sides as neither sorting order affects the other module. Would be nice to have one for both sides. It requires double maintenance.
Thanks Brad

Friday, March 7, 2014 at 12:53 AM - Response #3

Hi Max,

I added a new poll on my alumni site this week. When I went to see the modules were as I wanted them in Class Connection, I actually changed the order a bit from what is on the site. Now that is not like me not to keep things exactly the same. From now on, I will move the modules around more and go with what grabs my attention closer to the top and looks good.

As I was ready to close this, I realized another reason I like that they are not exactly the same as shown on our site and on Class Connection. It is that something may be noticed on one and not the other. I'm all for what gets a member's attention.

Friday, March 7, 2014 at 12:58 AM - Response #4

You need to work for CostcoVery Happy

(If you don't have one there, they move stuff around all the time, so you wander for hours trying to find that box of soup. Twisted Evil )

I personally do not care for varying links and will demonstrate by using a simple example: What if your browser changed where options and settings are located at random times? It's one reason people don't like changing browsers.

Friday, March 7, 2014 at 1:09 AM - Response #5

Hi Gwen,
I really think the 2 systems should be updated. I know we will forget to make changes in both as we are editing and I know there will be many that stay with the original system and not use Class Connection. So if we forget and only make changes in one, then those folks will be left out on the new information.

Friday, March 7, 2014 at 2:50 AM - Response #6

I'm not sure we're on the same page. The modules ARE the same. You don't have to update them in both places... Change the data in one, and you've changed it on the other. The module manager simply allows you to display different modules on the app, or change the order of the modules if you wish. They're still the exact same modules though pulling the exact same data from the exact same database. If you want the modules on the site and the app in the same order, and the exact ones to always display, then just put them that way and you'll never have to look at them ever again. You can then manage them from either Class Creator or Class Connection, and the other one is going to get the same updates immediately.

There's plenty of good reasons for this we've already heard. Again for instance you want to post a poll for your Facebook classmates only. You can do that, and NOT show the poll on the class site. Or maybe you want to turn on the Donations module only on your class site, but you don't want to show that on Facebook. You can do that too. Again even if you never want to do anything like this, then just set your module order and display and you're done with it forever.

Edited 03/07/14 2:52 AM
Friday, March 7, 2014 at 9:02 AM - Response #7
Screenshot (11).png

Hey Brad,
Here's the sorted order of the right modules for class connection: Screen shot attached

Edited 03/07/14 9:09 AM
Friday, March 7, 2014 at 9:11 AM - Response #8
Screenshot (10).png

Here's the sorted order for Class Creator: Screen shot attached.

They are not the same....

Friday, March 7, 2014 at 10:27 AM - Response #9

Which order do you prefer? Whatever one it is, adjust the other to match.

Friday, March 7, 2014 at 10:49 AM - Response #10

Ok Brad.
The only point I was making from the beginning on this subject was that changing the sorting order in one system did not change the sorting order in the other system. I understand that the data is being changed in both. I was thinking the premise of Class Connection was to make the 2 systems work the same. In this case it does not and requires changes to sorting order on both sides. I can not come up with a scenario where I would want them to be different sorting order.

Friday, March 7, 2014 at 11:15 AM - Response #11

Ok. We can set the app to auto set the sort order consistent with whatever the site is set at when first joining. From there people can change if desired. Thanks.

Sunday, March 23, 2014 at 5:32 PM - Response #12

Brad, I have a different question about the right modules. Just today I added the Class Connection App for our class. I haven't emailed the class yet because I want to be sure I understand how it is working. My first question is that on my home page (on class creator), in the middle of the page I direct classmates to click the 'Donate' button in the RIGHT module on the page. I also direct classmates to click on the Remembrance Garden link 'on the left'. Of course these 'directions' make sense if they are on the Class Creator page, but since the left column and right 'modules' don't exist (at least not in the same physical place) on the facebook app, not sure how to change the directions so they make sense at both places.... Do you have a suggestion?

Edited 03/23/14 5:33 PM
Sunday, March 23, 2014 at 5:35 PM - Response #13

Also, for now I think I would rather the first page that comes up when clicking on Class Connection app be our home page (and not the Whats New page). How do I change that?

And final question (for now!) - When I click to visit another class, I am prompted to enter school name - shouldn't that already be filled in??

Thanks!
Pam

Sunday, March 23, 2014 at 6:00 PM - Response #14

Pam,

1) You direct classmates to click "Donate" in the right module and you also direct them to click Remembrance Garden "on the left". Actually, that's the exact same setup as Class Connection. In Class Connection make sure you click your Modules link and activate any modules you want to show there and set their order. If you've got that correct your instructions make perfect sense to me already.

2) Shortly there will be a way to route classmates joining the app to your home page and not the What's new page. With a little luck we'll get to that one this week (wth this being new we have a rather lengthy work queue at the moment).

3) Nope! I think you're assuming you're only going to visit another class from the same high school, but this feature allows you to visit another class from any school.

Sunday, March 23, 2014 at 6:29 PM - Response #15

Actually, I think she has a point. It would be natural for someone from a school to visit another year for the same school. I did.

IMO having it default to one's own school makes perfect sense. Just make it so typing something makes it disappear.

Her assumption is correct Idea

Sunday, March 23, 2014 at 6:32 PM - Response #16

Thanks for the speedy response Brad. I did check the modules to be sure they were checked correctly and in the order I wanted. The problem is, the only place I see them (the modules) is at the BOTTOM of the Whats New page (they can only be seen if you scroll through all the messages/updates from classmates). The modules can't even be seen if I switch to the home page. It seems they are part of the Whats New page itself.

As far as directing classmates to the link on the left to visit the Remembrance Garden page, there are no links on the left - the link to the Remembrance Garden page is only found from the tab at the TOP of the page - in the "Class Links" drop down list.

Am I doing something wrong?

Sunday, March 23, 2014 at 8:07 PM - Response #17

Ah! I'm so sorry! I should have thought about this. 20% of the users don't see the normal interface. They see the mobile interface. This clearly includes you. If your screen resolution is set below 1360 you automatically see the mobile interface even if you're on a computer.

80% of your users (if averages hold true across your class) will see the donate module on the right, and all the links on the left. 20% will see a "Class Links" dropdown and the modules at the bottom of What's New. Unfortunately on mobile resolutions there's simply not much space to work with so we had to move things around quite a bit.

Thinking about this.......I actually don't have a very good answer for you here. Although the answer is right for 80% of the people on both the site and the app, clearly it's wrong for 20% of the people using the app (low res and mobile users). Although this would sound a bit clunky, here's a technical statement that would be true:

"If you are using Class Connection from a mobile device, or your computer screen resolution is set below 1360 you will see the donate module at the bottom of the What's New page and the Remembrance link under the "Class Links" dropdown."

That's the only reasonable thing I can even think of. There's simply no way to fit left navigation links, page body content, and right modules on a small mobile screen (especially on the iPhone). The geographic position of elements must change on mobile, thus making a blanket statement referring to their location cannot accommodate mobile users.

Another crazy thought off the top of my head. We could give admins a simple tag that would make things display only on mobile, or only on regular interface. Like this:

[mobile]At the bottom of our What's New page you can make a donation to the class.[/mobile]

[computer]At the right of the screen you can make a donation to the class.[/computer]

This way you could say it both ways in the same space, and only the right one would appear based on the user's device/resolution. It's a thought anyway. Smile

Edited 03/23/14 8:10 PM
Monday, March 24, 2014 at 11:27 AM - Response #18

Thanks Brad. For now, I put the note in that you suggested ("If you are a mobile user....).

If you were to create the tags( ), that would be nice!

Thanks,
Pam

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.