ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Subscription Options  

New Tab on Home Page

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 04/20/20 08:38 PM Views: 403 Replies: 7
Monday, April 20, 2020 at 8:38 PM

I need to add a new tab at the top of my site. I haven't done this in quite some time and cannot remember how to do it.

How do I add another tab beside the "School Memories" tab I already have?

Thanks!!
Debbie

Monday, April 20, 2020 at 9:04 PM - Response #1

Go to Edit Site Pages. Choose Add A New Page. Add the new Tab name in Link Label and check the Active block. I always check the next block 'Restrict to.....'. Be sure and save. Exit out of the Edit Site Pages and you should see the new Tab in the upper left of your Home Page. You, of course, are free to move the new tab to any place that you desire on the Home Page. If you need further assistance please feel to let me know back.

Regards, Sam T.

Tuesday, April 21, 2020 at 4:41 PM - Response #2

Thanks Sam!! I remember now!!

Also, when I clicked on your logo, I saw that all that was on your page was login info. When you click on my logo, it shows my entire home page and see the classmates' list. I'd like all that information not to show at all, even though you cannot get any info without signing in.

What setting do I use to show just a log in page and not my home page?

Thanks again Sam!!
Debbie

Tuesday, April 21, 2020 at 4:54 PM - Response #3

I think to make the home page just a log in page, do this: Admin Functions > Edit Site Pages > Home Page > Edit Page, and then in the Content Area, Home Page Content, switch the check mark from "Active" to "Logged In." (Edit: see my response #6 for a better solution).

You are taking your site to an ultra-private mode, which some admins feel is good. Our site is wide open, with every page except individual profiles available for viewing. We like alumni from other classes, faculty, and town members to see the content and have had no security issues or any other problems for 11 years. We've added many guest members by having our pages open for viewing. But, I understand there are some that value privacy the most. CC gives us the choice.

Edited 04/21/20 9:26 PM
Tuesday, April 21, 2020 at 5:05 PM - Response #4

Thanks Scott!! Good info to think about. We haven't had any problems either and may just keep it as is. Good to know though just in case.

Thanks again!!
Debbie

Tuesday, April 21, 2020 at 8:29 PM - Response #5

Debbie,

Scott always gives great advice. He has helped me a lot in the past. The way I do every page is to check the "Restrict to...." block on each active page that only our classmates can see; else wise I make the page inactive (for pages that only I as administrator can then see and access. (i.e., Go to Edit Site Pages. Select the page that you want to edit. Check the block 'Restrict to.....'. Be sure and save). Therefore only our classmates that are logged in can see our active pages. Has worked well for us since building our site back in 2008 (our 50th reunion).

Regards,

Sam T.

Edited 04/21/20 8:30 PM
Tuesday, April 21, 2020 at 9:22 PM - Response #6

Sam is correct for the method to restrict viewing of a page, including the home page, to only classmates who are logged in. I'll add that the procedure, after clicking on Admin Functions > Edit Site Pages, is to hover over the page in question, click on "Edit Link," then click on "Restrict to Classmates Only."

In my previous post (Response #3), that's the procedure for restricting viewing of the Content Area of the home page.

Edited 04/21/20 9:22 PM
Wednesday, April 22, 2020 at 7:03 PM - Response #7

Thank you both!! All ideas are great and glad we have a choice as to what can and can't be seen!!

Thanks again ... Debbie

Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.