ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

50th Reunion Leading To Wedding Bells

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 07/26/11 10:52 AM Views: 2033 Replies: 30
Tuesday, July 26, 2011 at 10:52 AM

The 50th Reunion at Por t Huron High School held July 15-17 was a smashing success by all accounts. But among the successes I wasn't expecting was that two class members who were in the same kindergarten class would end up engaged before another week had passed.

They had lived a block apart all the time they were growing up and attended the same elementary, junior high and high school. While they were classmates and friends, they had never dated. She had attended one reunion; he had attended one -- but not the same.

She was a bit reluctant about coming to the 50th reunion: registering, canceling and then registering again.  He was the chair of the reunion event and was happy to add her back to the long list of attendees again and told her he was very glad she was going to be there after all.

Her profile indicated she was now taking social dancing classes and he asked her to lead off the dance portion of the reunion with a "refresher" lesson for the guys who might not have danced since their June 15, 1961, Senior Prom when the Tommy Dorsey band played.

His dancing was rusty, but with her lessons, they picked up the old box-step and were soon joined on the floor by many dancing couples.

One dance led to another which led to a post-reunion date the next day which led to more and a week later, he proposed marriage; to which she replied  "Yes!"  

She lives in California; he lives in Arizona. She cancelled her flight home from the 50th Reunion held in Michigan and the couple is now driving to the West Coast and making wedding plans along the way while enjoying the trip together.

Here's a photo of the happy couple taken at the restaurant shortly after the proposal.

Regular visitors to the Help Forums may recognize me as the groom to be. Her name is Patty Jones. We are both very happy!

John and Patty

Edited 07/26/11 11:15 AM
Tuesday, July 26, 2011 at 10:54 AM - Response #1

congratulations and best wishes.

Tuesday, July 26, 2011 at 11:01 AM - Response #2

I guess you don't get a better reunion success story than that!!!! Congrats to you both.

Tuesday, July 26, 2011 at 11:07 AM - Response #3

Congratulations to you both! What a story! Glad we admins can share in your joy!

Tuesday, July 26, 2011 at 11:07 AM - Response #4

Congratulations, John and Patty! May you enjoy many happy years together!
(Perhaps ClassCreator can now also add "Romance/RelationshipCreator" to it's many benefits!!Cool)
Congratulations from all of us to you!

Edited 07/26/11 4:35 PM
Tuesday, July 26, 2011 at 11:23 AM - Response #5

John,

Best wishes to you both.

Jim

Tuesday, July 26, 2011 at 11:31 AM - Response #6
julie 60yrs.jpg

Congrats! Your story reminds me of a fairy tale.

May your marriage be filled with all the right ingredients: a heap of love, a dash of humour, a touch of romance, and a spoonful of understanding. May your joy last forever. Congratulations!

Julie Ferriera Passanisi
Class of 1968
San Leandro High
San Leandro, CA

Tuesday, July 26, 2011 at 11:32 AM - Response #7

John,

Congrats. What a great story to share.

Now, unlike our debt ceiling representatives, it will be interesting to hear what kind of "compromise" you work out for state residency! We'd hate to lose you from the Grand Canyon State, but realize your internet/CC guru/facilitator role can continue anywhere in this day and age.

All the best.

Bob
Tucson

Edited 07/26/11 11:33 AM
Tuesday, July 26, 2011 at 11:33 AM - Response #8

Now, THAT is a reunion success story that will be hard to beat! Congratulations to both of you.

Tuesday, July 26, 2011 at 11:37 AM - Response #9

What a sweet story. Best wishes to you both!!!!

Tuesday, July 26, 2011 at 11:59 AM - Response #10

Congratulations to you both.. Another reason to go to your school reunions, you never know what lovely surprise you'll find there.. Very neat story.. Wishing you many years of happiness..

Tuesday, July 26, 2011 at 12:47 PM - Response #11

Congratulations, John! How exciting for you! We, too, had a couple meet at our 35th and marry, never having known each other in school. They've been married almost 9 years!

Good looking couple, you are...Bonita

Tuesday, July 26, 2011 at 12:50 PM - Response #12

Congratulations John & Patty! It was so fun to read your note - thanks for sharing.

Amy & I re-met at our 25th reunion in 2003 and have now been married 5 wonderful years now!

All the best to you both, now and the years to come!

Bob

Tuesday, July 26, 2011 at 12:58 PM - Response #13

Congratulations to you John !!!

Tuesday, July 26, 2011 at 1:42 PM - Response #14

I had been wondering why you were doing all this reunion coaching - now I know. Congratulations!

Tuesday, July 26, 2011 at 2:21 PM - Response #15

John and Patty,

Congratulations and best wishes for many wonderful years together! What a great 50th class reunion story!

Louise

Tuesday, July 26, 2011 at 2:24 PM - Response #16

Congratulations John and Patty!
That is an awesome story.
We had a similar story of two classmates getting together shortly before our 40th reunion last year -
They were easy to recognize, as they were both floating above the dance floor the entire night.

But wait - your son was going to Michigan with you - what did you do with him? Rolling Eyes

Tuesday, July 26, 2011 at 5:18 PM - Response #17

John....you sly devil you!!!Twisted EvilTwisted Evil
Congrats to you my friend!!Very Happy
See what people miss when they don't go to their Class Reunion!!!
This waaay to awesome!!! Cool

Tuesday, July 26, 2011 at 5:29 PM - Response #18

Patty has joined Chris and I on the return road trip; currently in Nashville TN.

She's crowded in the back seat. Chris is happy for the both of us.

Tuesday, July 26, 2011 at 5:34 PM - Response #19

Great story! And Patty is beautiful too! You are both very lucky! We had a couple get together at our 25th and they have now been married almost 20 years. We also had a funny one- someone in our class came to our 35th (10 yrs ago) but the year before she had gone to her husband's reunion in the class ahead of us. At that reunion one of her husband's classmates gave her his card and said if you see Bonnie at your reunion next year give her my card. She did. They have now been married 9 years! They had actually gone together when he was a sophomore and she was a freshman. It ended but apparently he never forgot her. Smile. I can remember a friend of my mom's going to her 50th and reconnecting with a guy there and ended up marrying him. He lived in Vegas she in Ohio. They lived in Ohio for awhile but ended up moving to Las Vegas eventually after she sold her condo. I am sure it will all work out as it is intended. Smile Reunions seem like a good way to meet someone!!

Best Wishes!
Janie

Tuesday, July 26, 2011 at 6:37 PM - Response #20

What a great story and a huge congratulations to both of you. Life is full of surprises isn't it. I'm so happy things worked out for you two to meet again after all these years. Way to go John in not wasting any time in asking Patty to marry you. Patty..thanks for saying yes...John has been needing someone like you to share his life with.

All the very best to you both in this new adventure.
Rod Krumlauf

Tuesday, July 26, 2011 at 8:50 PM - Response #21

What a wonderful story. And apparently, there are many more similar stories out there.
John and Patty, congratulations and all the best. You are a beautiful couple and are bound to have a beautiful life together.

Tuesday, July 26, 2011 at 8:59 PM - Response #22

John and Patty -- Congratulations!!! What a wonderful story. I wish you both the best of everything. If you can't agree on which state to live in -- compromise and come to Texas!!

Tuesday, July 26, 2011 at 10:35 PM - Response #23

Well, you sneaky little fellow, you! You waited too long to tell us! I am so excited for you. Way to go...you rock! Stay forever young, sir.

Margaret

Tuesday, July 26, 2011 at 11:23 PM - Response #24

What a charming story and photo!! and what a reunion success!!!( and to think she almost didn't come ! )
Congratulations and best wishes to you both !!!

Wednesday, July 27, 2011 at 8:21 AM - Response #25

Congratulations to both of you, I wish you all the happiness in the world ... this is the secret desire for the largest majority of single attendees ... and this, my friends is what reunions are all about !!!!

Wednesday, July 27, 2011 at 10:53 AM - Response #26

Best wishes from your entire reunion team.....
Jan Hauser - Co-chair
Ann Hastings Baker, Jan Wyllie, Pat Heaslip, Corkey Rauser White, Alan Dobel, Marion Carson Forrest, and the rest of the group that put together an amazing week-end. :

Wednesday, July 27, 2011 at 9:57 PM - Response #27

This could not happen to a nicer guy! Congratualtions John and Patti!Wink

All my best, Betty

Wednesday, July 27, 2011 at 11:28 PM - Response #28

I have one for all of you. I just realized that was John in the photo and that "John" is JOHN.Embarassed OK, so I'm a little slow.

There has to be more to this story. Tell us PleaseCoolCool

Friday, July 29, 2011 at 12:20 AM - Response #29

John, Congratulations. Life begins anew at your 50th Reunion! Now that's an incentive to return. Perhaps, as Thomas Wolfe said "You Can't Go Home Again". But you can "Find Home Again in a New Way". Best to you both.

Friday, July 29, 2011 at 10:23 PM - Response #30

Thanks, everyone for your kind words. Patty, My son Chris and I are in Andalusia Alabama working on a book project for a few days. From here, we'll head to New Orleqns on Sunday morning and should be home in Phoenix by the following Saturday.

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.