ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Default for notifying members of announcement updates

Forums: Suggestions and Feedback
Created on: 02/19/14 09:04 PM Views: 843 Replies: 8
Wednesday, February 19, 2014 at 9:04 PM

How about leaving this box unchecked for the default:

Notify 51 Website Members that this announcement has been updated?

Minor editing changes are common, and it's too easy to overlook that checked box. An author who wants people to be notified about a substantive update will be thinking about that and can easily check the box.

Wednesday, February 19, 2014 at 9:16 PM - Response #1

We don't use the Announcements module on our site, but your argument makes perfect sense.

Some time ago, when the Notify Me feature was activated, I asked that the "Notify xxxx classmates that this page has been updated" be changed from the default setting of checked to unchecked, for the same reasons you're putting forward re: the Announcements module. Class Creator agreed and it's now unchecked as the default setting.

Wednesday, February 19, 2014 at 9:29 PM - Response #2

Thanks. I didn't know about that.

Wednesday, February 19, 2014 at 10:22 PM - Response #3

Lane, You can change that default if you wish. It's in the Preference options.

Thursday, February 20, 2014 at 12:55 AM - Response #4

Lane, I see what John is talking about. Sorry that I forgot we now have the flexibility to control this.

Go to: Admin Functions > Preferences > CLASSMATE NOTIFICATIONS (next to last box from the bottom) > click on "Unchecked: Do not automatically send subscriber notices unless box is manually checked before saving."

This will solve your problem.

Thursday, February 20, 2014 at 4:32 AM - Response #5

Great! Thanks. I hadn't looked at Preferences in a looong time.

Saturday, February 22, 2014 at 11:28 AM - Response #6

Yes, I prefer it unchecked too. When it is checked by default, every change you make goes out to classmates. Well, if you are a perfectionist like me, you could be making many changes to a page until it looks right, especially the homepage. One can imagine all the emails that would go out. Smile
Just a little tip about the homepage. When you make changes such as pictures, be sure to check it both when you are logged in and when you are logged out. If you have any boxes that activate only on login, the page may not look right when your website is approached by someone who has not logged in.

Monday, February 24, 2014 at 7:46 PM - Response #7

Hmmm - and a THIRD option would be to force us as admin's to select one or the other, and NOT allowing the announcement to be posted until one of them is selected!

[just when you thought it was one-way-or-the-other, some 'smart aleck' comes along with yet another idea!]

Tuesday, February 25, 2014 at 1:07 AM - Response #8

Heh. Smile Added to our wishlist for internal discussion. Thanks Steve. Smile

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.