ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Offensive Profile

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 04/15/10 12:03 PM Views: 1517 Replies: 10
Thursday, April 15, 2010 at 12:03 PM

There has to be one in every school. It has been brought to my attention that one person has posted an extremely offensive profile. I am going to delete him and how do I make certain he does not repost?

Thanks in advance

Thursday, April 15, 2010 at 12:13 PM - Response #1

Diane,

You could activate the Classmate Verification feature. It is found on the PREFERENCES page that only the Root Admin can see.

It has these two options (you have the FIRST option selected):

NEW CLASSMATE VERIFICATION

ALLOW new subscribing Classmates to immediately see any password protected areas of the web site, access any Profiles that have been restricted to viewing by only fellow Classmates, post messages in message forums, and display new Classmate's Profile information.

DO NOT ALLOW new subscribing Classmates to view password protected areas of the web site, access any restricted Classmate Profiles, post messages in message forums, and hide Profile information from other Classmates until the new Classmate's identity has been verified and confirmed. (Note: If you select this option, a new "Verified" field will appear in the Classmate's Profile area that only you, the Site Administrator, can see. When a new Classmate joins your site and the Classmate's identify has been confirmed, toggle the "Verified" field to "yes". The default will remain "no" until you do this. Once toggled to "yes" the new Classmate will be granted access to restricted areas of your site.

Tuesday, May 13, 2014 at 9:40 PM - Response #2

I guess I don't see my role as site administrator as one who censors others; yes we need some standards. That said I have had one complaint (in 6 years of running the site) from one of my members (she is a bit on the high and mighty side) and she doesn't like another member's profile. Is that other person's profile offensive, well not to me. She wants me to deal with it and my solution for her is that she ignore the other member.

Is it possible to implement a feature that allows one member to block the other (similar to Facebook?)

Patrick
http://www.memorial69.com/

Wednesday, May 14, 2014 at 11:32 AM - Response #3

"Is it possible to implement a feature that allows one member to block the other (similar to Facebook?)" .. this has been discussed and is on the table for future development.

Wednesday, May 14, 2014 at 3:07 PM - Response #4

I would contact the one with the offensive profile asking them to remove the offensive information/photos. You may need to give a time frame to have that completed - 48 hours. If needed, follow-up with a another email stating that the member will be removed if your request has not been done in 24 hours. In the end, if you look a third time and a change has not been made, you need to follow through.

Of course, if the member 'cleans up' the profile, send a note that you appreciate the update. You should monitor the profile weekly because you just never know.

One thing to consider is what you say. I am not sure how others feel but I may not share that there was a complaint from a member. If it is offensive, the person who put it there is aware. I'd probably note that members share the site with their family members - of all ages. Or it is a 'family site'.

It doesn't hurt to add some site rules. Keep it simple, such as "no advertising; inappropriate language..." whatever works for your site.

Member verification is not difficult, it simply takes the immediate ability to join away. That saddens me but it is the only thing you may be able to do, if all else fails.

Edited 05/14/14 3:09 PM
Wednesday, May 14, 2014 at 7:25 PM - Response #5

Patrick - IMHO, you're the webmaster and if using your best judgment, you don't see the profile as offensive . . . I say leave it as is. You could email a nicely written note to the person making the complaint. "Thank you for your concern. Just like any other community, our classmate community includes people from a wide variety of experiences, backgrounds, and mindsets. Our classmate community gives this diversity of membership an interesting place to interact, share, learn, and grow. At the webmaster's discretion, content that is considered inappropriate will be omitted."

Edited 05/14/14 7:25 PM
Wednesday, May 14, 2014 at 7:39 PM - Response #6

Gwen
Perhaps you missed the part of "I don't see my role as site administrator as one who censors others". This is the first complaint (in 6 years of running the site) from one of my members who is a bit on the high and mighty side; her language says she assumes others would be offended by that member's profile. I say she should ignore the other member.

Rhonda offers a good solution I might implement.

Edited 05/14/14 7:41 PM
Thursday, May 15, 2014 at 12:20 AM - Response #7

Well, how about that! I replied to a post four years old... Diane's first post of this thread, she wrote: "I am going to delete him..." That is what I replied to and was MY error. However, it all comes down to what the admin is comfortable doing.

I go for either:
1) Rhonda's suggestion
2) Ask the member to remove it, as I wrote above.

I do like your suggestion, Rhonda!

Sunday, May 18, 2014 at 6:52 AM - Response #8

If you as the webmaster of your site...and you don't see anything offensive in the members profile...it stays. Do you have a Committee???? Let the committee decide?? Take a vote and the majority rules...1 complaint isn't enough to ban a classmate from your site. IMHO.
Read my disclaimers at the bottom of my homepage...that might help clear things up.
We only banned one person from the site...s/he is still listed in the database...with the notify flag off and no profile. It's censorship if the remarks and answers to his/her profile questions are offensive.
I hope this helps.
Patrick Mattson wrote:

Gwen
Perhaps you missed the part of "I don't see my role as site administrator as one who censors others". This is the first complaint (in 6 years of running the site) from one of my members who is a bit on the high and mighty side; her language says she assumes others would be offended by that member's profile. I say she should ignore the other member.

Rhonda offers a good solution I might implement.

Edited 05/18/14 6:54 AM
Sunday, May 18, 2014 at 2:22 PM - Response #9

Set, and publish on your Homepage 'standards' {Policy - Purpose Statement, etc.} for your website, then the 'offender' would not have a reason to complain if you removed their statements.
Those on our Homepage I borrowed and modifies from several other sites.

Also, in our case, I ran the 'Purpose Statement' by the entire reunion committee [they chose to fund the site]- that way, no one can say that I was treating it as 'my' site.

Wednesday, May 21, 2014 at 2:19 AM - Response #10

Well I have to compliment you on your quote's wording. Very nicely stated, Rhonda!

Rhonda McClellan wrote:

Patrick - IMHO, you're the webmaster and if using your best judgment, you don't see the profile as offensive . . . I say leave it as is. You could email a nicely written note to the person making the complaint. "Thank you for your concern. Just like any other community, our classmate community includes people from a wide variety of experiences, backgrounds, and mindsets. Our classmate community gives this diversity of membership an interesting place to interact, share, learn, and grow. At the webmaster's discretion, content that is considered inappropriate will be omitted."

Edited 05/21/14 2:19 AM
New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.