ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Deactivate View Profile

Forums: Questions and Answers About Building Your Site
Created on: 05/02/09 10:41 AM Views: 1171 Replies: 3
Saturday, May 2, 2009 at 10:41 AM

The update profile on the homepage is deactivated on my site. I'd like to do the same with view profile on the threaded forum. But I can't see where or how to?

Saturday, May 2, 2009 at 1:33 PM - Response #1

Help me understand the logic behind this. I'd understand if your entire Classmate Profiles page was password protected, but it's not. I.E. non logged in viewers can already see any Profiles that are public. Your forums page is also not password protected, thus non logged in viewers can currently read your forum posts. That being the case on both issues, why hide the View Profile button if people can already view the Profile anyway if it's open to the public?

I'm assuming you're asking this question due to privacy considerations, but wouldn't simply password protecting your entire forum so only Classmates can enter be a better solution than removing a button that most people find helpful?

Edited 05/02/09 1:35 PM
Saturday, May 2, 2009 at 7:54 PM - Response #2

Who really thinks to be logical first when you're trying to make something work? Our threaded forum can't get unglued. I thought deactivating View Profile will add to secure the privacy concerns of those who checked off their profile visibility. But you're right the majority of classmates didn't care to mark it. But some did.
The classmate profile webpage isn't password protected for expediency reasons. It helps recruit first time visitors so the risk is outweighed; an argument that is debatable and I agree with you it's not easy to comprehend.
Admins will agree how many times a classmate forgets a password ? A password protected threaded forum is probably a solution but here we ran the risk of "selective" forgetfulness; and I can hear classmates say forget this.
It's been a while since I took Psychology, Logic and Ethics and I appreciate references of it but I would not dream of cutting something that benefits the group.
Thank you Brad.

Saturday, May 2, 2009 at 8:18 PM - Response #3

Ok. Smile I just don't see what not showing the button would do to protect privacy, other than making it slightly more difficult to get to somebody's Profile. Nonethless, under your setup you could note somebody's name, simply click to the Classmate Profiles page, and then click on his or her name. Same result, only difference being it takes 2 clicks instead of 1 click to get there.

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.