ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

International Mapping Feature

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 12/03/08 11:38 PM Views: 1624 Replies: 5
Wednesday, December 3, 2008 at 11:38 PM

Brad,

Back in July (I actually searched the forum for this first) you said the following:

3) We are limited to the current functionality of Google maps plotting both US and International classmates simultaneously. If better ways to plot world wide Classmates become available we will implement then.

So Brad...I am not sure but I think you mean there is not a way to plot the classmates outside of the U.S. since we are located in the U.S. Now since that was back in July, have things changed? We have many classmates in Canada and overseas but they do not show up on the map.

Will this be possible soon or not? As an example, I'd like to know where my buddy living in Trinidad is on our map if possible.

Thanks,

Bruce

Thursday, December 4, 2008 at 8:32 AM - Response #1

The reason is because we don't have a good way of getting latitude/longitude information for international locations. While google has some functionality for querying their mapping API for this information, it's just not suitable for our needs.

I've provided brad with a possible solution but it's rather expensive. This solution would allow us to map international classmates by city/country.

Thursday, December 4, 2008 at 12:18 PM - Response #2

Thanks Rick. We may have to move international ploting under the upcoming paid umbrella, so the people who wish to use this are helping to defray the costs of this... I've marked this as an item to discuss in early 09.

Saturday, December 6, 2008 at 2:00 AM - Response #3

Rick Root wrote:

The reason is because we don't have a good way of getting latitude/longitude information for international locations. While google has some functionality for querying their mapping API for this information, it's just not suitable for our needs.

I've provided brad with a possible solution but it's rather expensive. This solution would allow us to map international classmates by city/country.

Take a look at this site... You can get the lat/lon for world wide locations.

http://www.satsig.net/maps/lat-long-finder.htm?address=130+S+Main+St+Ann+Arbor+MI+48104

Latitude = 42.2806, Longitude = -83.7485
Lat = 42 degrees, 16.8 minutes North
Long = 83 degrees, 44.9 minutes West

Corner of W. Washington St. Very Happy ...or someplace close by!

Edited 12/06/08 2:03 AM
Saturday, March 28, 2009 at 4:55 PM - Response #4

Will pass along to Rick!

Wednesday, October 28, 2009 at 11:50 PM - Response #5

we are now using google's geocoding service to get the location of foreign addresses and plot them on the map.

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.