ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Subscription Options  

Open a link in new window

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 05/01/09 06:21 PM Views: 3534 Replies: 24
Friday, May 1, 2009 at 6:21 PM

Brad....

Would it be possible to put a radio button option inside the Insert/Edit Link box that we could click on to have a linked image open in a new window instead of the classmates having to hit the back button to get back to our site? Sure would be alot easier to just close out the new window instead.

Hope I've made myself clear.

Thanks in advance and keep up the superb job!

-Doug

Edited 05/01/09 6:22 PM
Friday, May 1, 2009 at 9:06 PM - Response #1

It's not a button, but nonethless it's pretty easy to do this anyway. Just press the Source button and look at your link in source code view. Let's say your link is something like this:

The link on the image above will open in the same window. But if you add this to the code after your link code it will spawn a new window instead:

target="_blank"

So the whole string would look like this:

Friday, May 15, 2009 at 9:08 AM - Response #2

I'm trying to figure out how to only put a portion of a classmate's military story on the page with a "read more" section when clicked will show the rest of the story. I would rather it not be a large window, but rather a square box or something that opens. Any ideas?

Friday, May 15, 2009 at 9:22 AM - Response #3

Hi Donna...

What I would do I think is after the "teaser" paragraph, follow it up with "More..." and link the word More... to whatever other page you have that story on. You can link it by highlighting that portion of the text, then going to the toolbar and clicking on the globe with the chain and putting in the URL of where the full story is located. To have that new page open in a new window, just follow Brad's instructions above. As an FYI, IE will usually open a new window in a smaller box anyhow, and not the full window size.

-Doug

Friday, May 15, 2009 at 9:26 AM - Response #4

Good idea. I'll try.
Thanks so much, Doug!

Friday, May 15, 2009 at 9:29 AM - Response #5

Are there any hidden pages on which I can put the remainder of the article? We have several vets and I don't have that many customizable links.

Friday, May 15, 2009 at 9:39 AM - Response #6

Hi Donna...

Do what I did.... I made use of the survey page. It works perfectly!

-Doug

Friday, May 15, 2009 at 9:47 AM - Response #7

You're brilliant and obviously know A LOT more than I do!

Thank you, Doug.

Friday, May 15, 2009 at 9:11 PM - Response #8

Would you be willing to tell me how to use the survey page as an extra page?

Saturday, May 16, 2009 at 8:14 AM - Response #9

Donna....

Sure, it's easy... Go to Edit Site Pages, then to Edit Survey, then click on the little pencil under Edit (make sure the checkmark is in the box under Active) Hit the Source button in the upper left of the edit box....now just go in and delete everything (all of the html code) within the text area. After that is done, rename the page from Survey to whatever you would like, and your ready to start your new page just as you would any other customizable page. Smile

Hope that helps....... -Doug

Saturday, May 16, 2009 at 8:19 AM - Response #10

Is there a way to have this page open from another customizable page only and not be in the nav. bar?

Saturday, May 16, 2009 at 10:54 AM - Response #11

Yes there is..... Under Edit Site Pages, just make sure the box is UNCHECKED in the column where it it says Active. You might have to put a check mark in it once to make it active, and then go to that page, and copy the URL it gives you as you will need it to make the corresponding link on your homepage for it.

Saturday, May 16, 2009 at 11:07 AM - Response #12

Thanks!

Saturday, May 16, 2009 at 12:17 PM - Response #13

I am still confused on making a link open in a new window. I used to go to impage properties and there would be a drop down window to easily select "open link in new window". Now that option is not there. Do I have to go to the source each time now and paste what you mentioned above in this topic? Thanks,

Saturday, May 16, 2009 at 10:15 PM - Response #14

You're right, and that's a good point, I'll see if we can get that new window option back in there. For now yes, just add target="_blank" in the code and that will work just as well.

Wednesday, August 26, 2009 at 8:27 AM - Response #15

OMG! I'm close, but can't quite figure out where to put the "target" code to open a new window. Can you help me because I don't know where to put it? If you want to do it for me, I would be forever indebted Smile
Thanks!

href="http://www.classcreator.com/Richmond-VA-John-Marshall-1968/index.cfm">;">

Edited 08/26/09 8:30 AM
Wednesday, August 26, 2009 at 9:00 AM - Response #16

There is an example of using the target code in the post by Brad above. Pasted below for reference.

RE: Open a link in new window
Posted Friday, May 1, 2009 at 7:06 PM

The link on the image above will open in the same window. But if you add this to the code after your link code it will spawn a new window instead:

target="_blank"

So the whole string would look like this:

target="_blank">

Wednesday, August 26, 2009 at 9:07 AM - Response #17

I reviewed Brad's example and still couldn't figure out where to insert the code on my page - that's why I sent him the question. I don't see "html" or "img" on mine so I'm not sure where to insert the code and I don't want to make a mess of it. Thanks for trying to help me but I need more coaching on this.

Edited 08/26/09 9:09 AM
Wednesday, August 26, 2009 at 9:32 AM - Response #18

Elizabeth (Liz) Ballenger wrote:

I reviewed Brad's example and still couldn't figure out where to insert the code on my page - that's why I sent him the question. I don't see "html" or "img" on mine so I'm not sure where to insert the code and I don't want to make a mess of it. Thanks for trying to help me but I need more coaching on this.

Hi Liz,

Sorry.

In your example, you are missing the "

href="http://www.classcreator.com/Richmond-VA-John-Marshall-1968/index.cfm">

should really be

And the target="_blank" goes inside of the , so yours would be like this:

target="_blank">

In case you are interested, the HTML codes are how links to other web pages are created. The target="_blank" command says to open it up in another window named "_blank" and since there isn't another window named "_blank" then a new window is opened.

The text/image between the and is the text/image that becomes what the classmate clicks on.

Edited 08/26/09 9:33 AM
Friday, September 11, 2009 at 1:30 AM - Response #19

YaY! I finally had time to sit down and try this. It works! Thanks for the very detailed instruction. I think I've got it now Smile

Friday, January 1, 2010 at 5:26 PM - Response #20

Quote:

Yes there is..... Under Edit Site Pages, just make sure the box is UNCHECKED in the column where it it says Active. You might have to put a check mark in it once to make it active, and then go to that page, and copy the URL it gives you as you will need it to make the corresponding link on your homepage for it.

This should be so easy, but I can't get it to work.

We made a Nostalgia page as one of our custom pages. On that page, we want links to other pages so that our navigation bar isn't cluttered with a lot of links.

As one of the link-to pages on our Nostalgia page, I created a survey page with instructions only and put a link to it on the Nostalgia page.

The problem is that clicking the link on the Nostalgia page only displays the "survey" page when I Edit Site Pages and mark the survey page Active. If the page is not marked Active, only "Survey not available" displays. We want the survey page to display without being on the nav bar.

What am I doing wrong? I appreciate the help.

Edited 01/01/10 5:31 PM
Friday, January 1, 2010 at 6:53 PM - Response #21

Unfortunately surveys are the excpetion to the rule. You can't link to an inactive survey. The good news is unlimited links are on the way in the first part of 2010.

Friday, January 1, 2010 at 7:47 PM - Response #22

Brad Switzer wrote:

Unfortunately surveys are the excpetion to the rule. You can't link to an inactive survey. The good news is unlimited links are on the way in the first part of 2010.

Any other way to accomplish what we want (a page of links to other pages not on the navbar) in the meantime? Many thanks.

Friday, January 1, 2010 at 7:52 PM - Response #23

Yes. You need to use one of your regular Customizable Links pages instead of a Survey page. Of course the problem there is you'll run out of pages pretty quickly -- one of the reaons we'll be adding unlimited page capabilities to the system shortly.

Friday, January 1, 2010 at 9:16 PM - Response #24

Brad Switzer wrote:

... we'll be adding unlimited page capabilities to the system shortly.

Happy New Year to All of Us!
Thanks Brad & CC Team!
WinkWinkWinkWinkWinkWinkWink

Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.