ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Linking our site to a multiple year website

Forums: Questions and Answers About Building Your Site
Created on: 08/07/17 09:51 AM Views: 1451 Replies: 5
Monday, August 7, 2017 at 9:51 AM

Our high school is considering a multiple year website. We have had our own class website for several years and are not sure we are interested in migrating to their site (and, if I understand correctly, we would have to manually re-enter our class information anyway). We have a few reasons, Including happy with our class site and want to protect the privacy of our classmates who have signed on with us as admins. We don't know how they would use it in the future... capital fundraising, etc.

But, I also worry about a parallel system, where some of our classmates join that website, thinking it's for our class, and then miss important class information. Is there a way for the multiple year site to set up our year in such a way that classmates can be automatically routed from their site to our site if they are from our year?

Edited 08/07/17 9:53 AM
Monday, August 7, 2017 at 3:29 PM - Response #1

We have some sites that have opted to join their alumni multi year site. And we also have others that have that option, but have decided to maintain their independent class site as well. In those cases, many of the members have opted to become members of both sites.

As for your second concern, I think you should probably embrace the second, multi year site since that will likely happen whether you want it or not, and build a good relationship with those that are running it so that you can help guide the communications as desired. Maybe they will even consider making you are co-admin in their site. You can also educate and inform your own members about the communications and the similarities / differences of what will be communicated from your own class site as well as from the alumni site. If you are, at a minimum, a member of the alumni site yourself, you will receive the emails from that site and can then choose to supplement their emailed information with additional emails of your own to your members if you think that clarification is needed.

Tuesday, August 8, 2017 at 2:11 PM - Response #2

Hi. We have a multiclass site, that covers ALL years going back to 1889 (we loaded names from old yearbooks, but we do have living members going back to classes from the 1940s).

We have a page, linked to in the left panel, called "Class Website Links". We try to make it clear that we support all classes, especially with publicizing class reunions. I agree with Scott's advice to maintain good relations between the multiclass site and the individual classes, so there is no competition, just mutual support.

Some of the individual classes have Class Creator sites, which provides a similar look-and-feel, and others are independent. Check it out at http://www.hobartalumni.org/. Thanks.

Tuesday, August 8, 2017 at 8:07 PM - Response #3

We had a CC site for several years and then decided to go to multiple years. We made the big mistake of NOT upgrading from single to multiple. I had to copy/paste all the photos, class stories, galleries, comments etc.

Just let CC upgrade and everything from original site will be there.
We love it.
We now have seven high school sites to maintain and have posted over 37,000 senior photos.

Monday, August 14, 2017 at 3:48 PM - Response #4

Paul Addison wrote:

Hi. We have a multiclass site, that covers ALL years going back to 1889 . . .

Paul, Wow!

That is a very nicely done site! I see you have a page with links to over 100 yearbooks that are hosted on Archive.org and it mentions a "Digitizing-sponsor OCI Yearbook Program."

Could I ask what was involved in making this happen? Was this something that you all arranged?

Gary

Tuesday, August 15, 2017 at 2:16 PM - Response #5

Paul,

This was so interesting that I found a little information on this and created a separate Topic for it Digitizing Yearbooks Free Service for Schools

If you have anything that you'd like to add (and I hope that you might), I hope you might consider posting under that thread.

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.