ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Home Page

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 12/03/14 11:22 AM Views: 1738 Replies: 5
Wednesday, December 3, 2014 at 11:22 AM

I posted yesterday about a problem with my home page but have not gotten a response yet?
Thank you in advance for your assistance.
Dave

Wednesday, December 3, 2014 at 12:09 PM - Response #1

Sorry. I did reply with a recommendation along the following lines... I would revert the current page back to the last version of your homepage that was working properly. Then I would add the new content that you are working with to an Announcement that can be easily turned on / off. Admins will use the announcement feature like this for maintaining monthly / recurring updates. Then, once you have this content in an announcement, it will be easier to trouble shoot the problems as it will minimize the code that will need to be reviewed. Your homepage is quite long. It might be a good idea to compartmentalize as many of the "sections" as possible into the announcements so that troubleshooting sections will be easier.

Wednesday, December 3, 2014 at 12:17 PM - Response #2

Hi Dave!

Without looking at your setup, do you use Home Page Content on the top of your home page? If so, I suggest switching that to Announcements at the top. I believe I have a post about it or a video on TAP. I'll take a quick look and add it to THIS post, if I find it. I'm in the middle renovating a site and pausing too long could take me off track.
Cool
Click here to go to the video

Edited 12/03/14 12:29 PM
Wednesday, December 3, 2014 at 12:30 PM - Response #3

The main blowout is caused by the YouTube Video that has a width of 590. Make it 390 to 420 or so.

There is a extra stuff on the page that does nothing (it's left over formatting) that could be removed making it easier to resolve. End of page has the most. Empty tables, empty lines, empty formatting styles, etc.

I'd start over on anything that doesn't look right and/or do what Scott suggested too.

The main flaw with "announcements" is that they reduce the amount of available width on the home page adding extra margin space for no good reason Wink All posted widths have to be reduced to account for this.

Edited 12/03/14 12:44 PM
Wednesday, December 3, 2014 at 1:36 PM - Response #4

Sorry I missed your original post Dave. This should be linked to it.

Wednesday, December 3, 2014 at 2:04 PM - Response #5

Thank you all that responded to my problem.
I deleted the large you tube and did a left margin and that fixed the problem. I also deleted some of the extra cells at the bottom of the page.
Sorry I did not see the original response as I know you guys are the best at answering.
Dave

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.