ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Subscription Options  

IP Disappeared

Forums: Questions and Answers About Building Your Site
Created on: 03/04/18 03:27 PM Views: 1138 Replies: 7
Sunday, March 4, 2018 at 3:27 PM

Hi Folks,

One month ago I switched my domain losaltoshigh62.org from classnames to godaddy. I kept the domain name servers the same:
dns1.name-services.com (etc).

Yesterday the site quit displaying and all my browsers say that they can't find the server (or a variation of such). (Other classmates have reported the same thing.)

https://www.whatsmydns.net/#A/www.losaltoshigh62.org yields no IP addresses. Neither does https://www.whatsmydns.net/#A/losaltoshigh62.org.

I'm pretty sure the switch from classnames.net to godaddy is somehow involved, but I can't figure out how.

Any suggestions?

Mike

Sunday, March 4, 2018 at 4:26 PM - Response #1

A 'ping' to localtoshigh62.org (or to .com) resolves to IP address 198.105.244.23 but there's no actual response back from the ping. WHOIS says that IP address is registered to Search Guide Inc in Boulder CO, and their current registration for a range of address (including that one) was last updated in July of 2012.

My guess is that's a company who handles searches for net names which are not associated with an IP address. Did you give Godaddy the 'A record" address for Class Creator?

Sunday, March 4, 2018 at 5:02 PM - Response #2

No I didn't. I didn't have that option. I'm guessing if I use the default nameservers instead of the ones from classnames, I'll be able to do it. I'll try to enter the 198.105.244.23 IP and see if it works.

Sunday, March 4, 2018 at 5:13 PM - Response #3

I think IP 198.105.244.23 is a universally applied IP for non resolving domain names. I get a Centurylink search page now for losaltoshigh62.org. I wonder what our real IP is. Class Creator can you help?

Edited 03/04/18 6:02 PM
Sunday, March 4, 2018 at 8:28 PM - Response #4

This was ringing a faint bell, and a search found these instructions from Scott:

Be sure that your domain name is using the following when set up at GoDaddy:

Repointing Domain Names:
If you wish to point your domain name directly to your Class Creator web site, please go into your domain manager at your existing Registrar and add the following IP address to the A record: 69.41.171.205 . This will link your domain name to your Class Creator web site. If you need assistance please call your Registrar by phone and read them the above instructions and they will be able to assist you. Please note that the ONLY thing you need to change at your Registrar is your A record. You do not need to change anything else, such as nameservers. After you've done this log into your class web site, click the "Register Domain" link, and type in your domain name and then click the Activate Domain Name button. This will link up your domain name from your Registrar to your Class Creator web site and you'll be all set.

Sunday, March 4, 2018 at 10:06 PM - Response #5

Problem solved. got the IP for Class Creator web sites and were up and running. Hey John Ralph, thanks for the help. Love the tee shirt, by the way.Very HappyVery Happy

Sunday, March 4, 2018 at 10:27 PM - Response #6

Thanks for helping out, John

Monday, March 5, 2018 at 9:49 AM - Response #7

Thanks John. I got some outside help and used 69.41.171.62 for my A record and it worked. Now anyone searching for similar help will find tow good IP's.

Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.