ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Widget to show Home Page Visits

Forums: Suggestions and Feedback
Created on: 10/05/11 07:57 PM Views: 3227 Replies: 40
Wednesday, October 5, 2011 at 7:57 PM

What is the chance of creating a little Widget to draw the Home Page Visits number (in Stats) since Site Created so that could be posted on Home Page?

I like the display of how many visits made, but 3rd party stuff just is not as accurate depiction. Showing the visits gets classmates to realize how much (or maybe how little) the site is being used. In classes from the same school, I have distinctively different activity in visits. A little competition can be nice. Very Happy

Wednesday, October 5, 2011 at 10:24 PM - Response #1

Excellent thought.

Thursday, October 6, 2011 at 12:37 AM - Response #2

I like it, too.

Eric or Brad - Is there a symbolic variable similar to the variable for what generates "Home Page Visitors*:" count as the stats page is rendered?

That might be a good counter to use on the home page.

Thursday, October 6, 2011 at 1:49 PM - Response #3

Hi folks,

I just created a variable: $homepage_hits$ which you can place on your homepage, style as you like in the editor and accompany with whatever text you like, which places the hits count exactly as it appears on your stats page onto your home page. It will only work on the home page. Try it out and let me know if you have any problems.

NOTE: This counter uses a cookie to make sure that hits counted are limited to one hit per visitir per day. This means that reloading the home page will not increase the count more than one time per day.

Thursday, October 6, 2011 at 3:30 PM - Response #4

And it works tooExclamation

Thursday, October 6, 2011 at 4:25 PM - Response #5

You Guys are the best.

Thursday, October 6, 2011 at 4:28 PM - Response #6

Indeed they are the best!

Thursday, October 6, 2011 at 5:56 PM - Response #7

Can you give a step by step instruction on how to do this?

Thursday, October 6, 2011 at 6:01 PM - Response #8

As counterintuitive as it seemed to me all I had to do was paste $homepage_hits$ in the editor for my homepage.

Thursday, October 6, 2011 at 6:10 PM - Response #9

I tried putting it in with the source code and directly on the home page and neither one worked.

Thursday, October 6, 2011 at 6:15 PM - Response #10

Jim,

It works, but you won't see the number when you are in the editor. you need to return to your home page to see the actual number. In the editor you will see $homepage_hits$. It doesn't matter if you paste this special code in the SOURCE or the regular editor.

Thursday, October 6, 2011 at 7:25 PM - Response #11

Great idea! Thanks. It works.

Thursday, October 6, 2011 at 8:19 PM - Response #12

I just shocked myself! I did it. Amazing! Thanks Eric, Kyle, all!!!!! Bonita

Thursday, October 6, 2011 at 8:55 PM - Response #13

Thanks Kyle.

Thursday, October 6, 2011 at 9:11 PM - Response #14

From original idea to production code in less than 24 hours!
I like the "imagineering" process I see here.

The counter display may help more people sign up when they see how many visits we've had.

Thanks Eric!

Thursday, October 6, 2011 at 9:43 PM - Response #15

Yes, I would need that also.

Sunday, October 9, 2011 at 7:44 PM - Response #16

Eric B Bassey wrote:

Hi folks,

I just created a variable: $homepage_hits$ which you can place on your homepage, style as you like in the editor and accompany with whatever text you like, which places the hits count exactly as it appears on your stats page onto your home page. It will only work on the home page. Try it out and let me know if you have any problems.

NOTE: This counter uses a cookie to make sure that hits counted are limited to one hit per visitir per day. This means that reloading the home page will not increase the count more than one time per day.

THANKS ERIC!!

Shoot, some reason I have not consistently been getting emails advising me of new posts. I was the one that requested this, and everyone got it before I did!!!!

Works perfect! And you did that quite quickly. Let the competition begin between my 2 Class websites. Yes, I think this might be just the kicker to get a few more classmates to register, as someone above suggested.

Tuesday, October 11, 2011 at 12:29 AM - Response #17

Hello! Did the sites start at the same time? I am thinking of a competition for my two sites, but one is a year older. Did you have to handle the time difference?

Margaret

Thursday, October 13, 2011 at 7:57 PM - Response #18

This is exactly why Classcreator is the:
"Cutting Edge" in reunion web sites!Idea

Allways and Always the absolute best!

I used to do our own input off the stats page whenever I would sign in Confused, due to the fact that i did not care for the various site counters out on the web.

Another grandslam by the class creator team
Cool

Next for our site will be a custum url
http://www.classcreator.com/Glenview-IL-Glenbrook-South-1978Wink

Monday, October 31, 2011 at 8:08 PM - Response #19

Easy. As FC Bock above says, just paste it wherever on the home page.

Friday, November 25, 2011 at 2:06 PM - Response #20

Eric B Bassey wrote:

Hi folks,

Eric, This is a neat thing, and thanks for setting it up. I found out today that this variable does not work in a home page announcement. Is there any way to make it work in an announcement?
Thanks!

Monday, November 28, 2011 at 5:58 PM - Response #21

Hi Alice,

We can certainly look at that. I'll put it on my list.

Monday, November 28, 2011 at 7:03 PM - Response #22

Eric B Bassey wrote:

Hi Alice,

We can certainly look at that. I'll put it on my list.

Thanks for adding this to your list, Eric. Hope you can find a way to make the home-page-views variable work in announcements! Smile

Wednesday, November 30, 2011 at 4:59 PM - Response #23

That should be working now.

Wednesday, November 30, 2011 at 5:13 PM - Response #24

Eric B Bassey wrote:

That should be working now.

Well, you can cross that off your list, Eric! The variable IS working in the home page announcements now. Thanks for such a speedy fix...you got that off your list before the ink was even dry!LaughingLaughingLaughing

Wednesday, November 30, 2011 at 11:50 PM - Response #25

Could we have something created that would show site members visits, according the most recent people, by first and last name, like they did it, for example, on Classmates.com? (Or for a specified amount of time from the past?) I realize how you CC staff feel about privacy as such but this would be beneficial to other classmates who may be curious whether a fellow classmates had been logged into the class website and ehen or not.

Edited 12/01/11 12:23 AM
Thursday, December 1, 2011 at 10:09 AM - Response #26

Hi Gary,

I don't think we have any plans to do what you ask, and I for one have no idea what Classmates.com has ever done (except something relating to exposing user information that got them sued -- I just read about that the other day). Naturally, we want to take a very cautious approach and, if anything, err on the side of excessive respect for the privacy of the users of our service.

Thursday, December 1, 2011 at 2:06 PM - Response #27

Eric B Bassey wrote:

Hi Gary,

I don't think we have any plans to do what you ask, and I for one have no idea what Classmates.com has ever done (except something relating to exposing user information that got them sued -- I just read about that the other day). Naturally, we want to take a very cautious approach and, if anything, err on the side of excessive respect for the privacy of the users of our service.

It had been brought up before on this forum without sufficient clarification. Thanks for doing so now.

Edited 12/01/11 2:16 PM
Saturday, January 28, 2012 at 10:52 AM - Response #28

Is there a list somewhere of ALL the $...$ codes we can access, like $homepage_hits$ and pulling names into emails, etc.? I'd like to see them all in one place so I can get really creative. Are they universal, that is, can they go anywhere or are some restricted to emails only or webpages only, for instance.

Saturday, January 28, 2012 at 11:11 AM - Response #29

Thanks, Eric. The $homepage_hits$ worked great!
Bill

Saturday, January 28, 2012 at 2:03 PM - Response #30

Bonita, I love the visitor page wiget, where did you get that and how do you monitor it? PS I just signed in on it. Thanks.

Sunday, January 29, 2012 at 4:16 PM - Response #31

Find an area in your home page that you would like to put the counter. (Be sure you're in Edit mode).

Type in something like:

To date there have been
$homepage_hits$
hits on our home page

Save changes, and voila!

Sunday, January 29, 2012 at 4:25 PM - Response #32

Barb thank you, I finally got it. The wiget that is also very cool is the one Bonita has that shows a picture of anyone, both classmate or visitor who stopped by once you sign in, I really like that feature. Very Happy

Sunday, January 29, 2012 at 4:42 PM - Response #33

Share, I missed that one... (showing the picture)

Barbara

Saturday, May 18, 2013 at 11:37 AM - Response #34

Eric B Bassey wrote:

Hi folks,

Along this line, is there a count admins can look at for each page on our site? There's one I really want to monitor as I'm considering deleting it. If not, I assume the method described here can be done for any page on our site? Would I just replace the word "homepage" with the name of the page I want to count? I'd prefer just an admin count though. Google Analytics doesn't seem to have the breakdown. TX.
Diana

Saturday, May 18, 2013 at 12:09 PM - Response #35

No, Diana, that wouldn't work. The feature you want doesn't exist

Saturday, May 18, 2013 at 12:24 PM - Response #36

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly. Maybe I'll do a poll or survey.
Cheers!

Saturday, May 18, 2013 at 12:29 PM - Response #37

Diana it would appear to me that Content/Site Content/All Pages in Google Analytics might be of help. I haven't looked at it in any detail as I just found it after reading your comment above.

Saturday, May 18, 2013 at 12:44 PM - Response #38

Correct, Google Analytics gives a breakdown of visitors to each page. Plus location demographics and other tech tidbits such as OS and screen resolution. It's a bit overwhelming at firstVery Happy

There are also other similar services, including some that one could put on a specific page only. Haven't used the latter, but some CC sites have them. Maybe someone will post on the others.

Saturday, May 18, 2013 at 12:50 PM - Response #39

Well done! It does show the page breakdown now that you've shown me where to look! Thanks! You can search for any page for any time period and they rank them by number of visits.

Best,
Diana

Monday, May 27, 2013 at 3:24 AM - Response #40

Thanks for the question, Diana; and Jack, good answer! It is one every admin should not only read but get familiar with, which is why this is TAP's TIP of the WEEK.

Hope you will join us on TAP!

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.