ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Superlatives

Forums: Questions and Answers About Building Your Site
Created on: 03/31/09 07:44 PM Views: 2307 Replies: 15
Tuesday, March 31, 2009 at 7:44 PM

Does anyone have a suggestion about where I could put the Superlatives at on the site? I was thinking of putting them in an unused field on those classmates' pages, but there isn't a field avaialble...

I did think of just adding a field in the Profile Generator, but I don't know if that's the best route.

Thanks for your help!
Vicki

Wednesday, April 1, 2009 at 10:56 AM - Response #1

Vicki Martin wrote:

Does anyone have a suggestion about where I could put the Superlatives at on the site? I was thinking of putting them in an unused field on those classmates' pages, but there isn't a field avaialble...

I did think of just adding a field in the Profile Generator, but I don't know if that's the best route.

Thanks for your help!
Vicki

Brad - your thoughts?

Or...perhaps another field can be added to each classmate's profile, similar to the field where admins can make notes for that classmate, only this field (once activated by the admin), would be viewable on the profile.

Vicki

Wednesday, April 1, 2009 at 11:48 AM - Response #2

Can you explain EXACTLY what you are wanting to do? I was hoping somebody else was going to answer. Smile To me "superlatives" means words like "best". Or "greatest". So when you say you're wanting to add superlatives to your site, I'm in the dark on what exactly you're wanting to do.

Wednesday, April 1, 2009 at 12:07 PM - Response #3

Brad Switzer wrote:

Can you explain EXACTLY what you are wanting to do? I was hoping somebody else was going to answer. Smile To me "superlatives" means words like "best". Or "greatest". So when you say you're wanting to add superlatives to your site, I'm in the dark on what exactly you're wanting to do.

Sure...

By 'SUPERLATIVE' I mean the items like "Voted Most Likely to Succeed", "Voted Most School Spirit" etc...each class has different ones, but I think that by having the option of adding them to the classmates who received the title, would be a nice addition to the site.

**[EDIT] Also, it was suggested by a classmate that we could also list the class valedictorian, prom king & queen etc. so this extra field could serve that purpose as well.**

Does that help clear it up a little for you?

Edited 04/01/09 5:08 PM
Wednesday, April 1, 2009 at 7:45 PM - Response #4

Yes, thank you.

Hmmmmmmmmmmm. This is actually a tougher question than it sounds... Yes, you could add superlatives to Profile Generator.....but then people would be in control of their own superlatives, and would even be asked for them at the time of joining the site, which would be weird. Even if you added them Classmates could delete them.

We can't add it to the name field, because on some really long Classmate names we already have to truncate like it is. So that's out...

So that really only leaeves the option of creating some type of Admin-editable-only field in the Clasmate Profile where Admins could put something that the Classmate cannot remove. I'm somewhat reluctant to do this too though, as Classmate Profiles are their own area to do whatever they want with. What if they don't like the superlative you've added to their Profile that they are unable to remove?

The only final thing I can think of is creating some type of custom page for superlatives and the like. That would work, but I realize you're kind of trying to associate it directly with the name in more of an automated way, so this too really isn't what you're looking for.

Anybody else have any suggestions on this?

Thursday, April 2, 2009 at 7:11 PM - Response #5

Brad Switzer wrote:

Yes, thank you.

Hmmmmmmmmmmm. This is actually a tougher question than it sounds... Yes, you could add superlatives to Profile Generator.....but then people would be in control of their own superlatives, and would even be asked for them at the time of joining the site, which would be weird. Even if you added them Classmates could delete them.

We can't add it to the name field, because on some really long Classmate names we already have to truncate like it is. So that's out...

So that really only leaeves the option of creating some type of Admin-editable-only field in the Clasmate Profile where Admins could put something that the Classmate cannot remove. I'm somewhat reluctant to do this too though, as Classmate Profiles are their own area to do whatever they want with. What if they don't like the superlative you've added to their Profile that they are unable to remove?

The only final thing I can think of is creating some type of custom page for superlatives and the like. That would work, but I realize you're kind of trying to associate it directly with the name in more of an automated way, so this too really isn't what you're looking for.

Anybody else have any suggestions on this?

Brad,

Looks like Kyle had a similar idea, but he was more broad in his possible uses. See this thread.

I know that you put there that it would be awhile...but that gives us time to hash it out. Razz

Also, to answer your question about removing an admin note or superlative that they don't want on their profile, all they would have to do is contact the admins and ask that it be deleted...

Thanks,
Vicki

Edited 04/02/09 7:12 PM
Thursday, April 2, 2009 at 10:49 PM - Response #6

I wanted to use it for a comment like "Name was on the graduation program, but no picture in any yearbook." That way, when other classmates don't remember the classmate, they will see why they are included in the classmate profiles.

But that probably wouldn't work because nothing from the profile displays (except the classmate photo) until the classmate actually signs up to the website.

Friday, April 3, 2009 at 2:09 PM - Response #7

Unless the second radio button at the top of the Edit Classmates page is selected, in which case all Admin-entered info displays in Clasmates' Profiles even if they haven't joined the site.

Friday, April 3, 2009 at 2:56 PM - Response #8

Could there be a THIRD radio button (not a high priority enhancement request UNLESS IT IS EASY). The third radio button would say "Only display information if a profile exists for this classmate". Then if a classmate has some contact information on the DETAILS screen, but hasn't really created a profile, the check mark on "Classmate Profiles" would still be off. But if the admin has created a profile for this classmate, then that information would be displayed.

The thing that bothers me about radio button 2, "Show Classmate details even if Classmates have not created an account" is that because I added addresses from a spreadsheet I had, EVERYONE has a check mark (Contains Profile Information) by their name.

With the THIRD radio button all of the contact information wouldn't be displaying all the time, saying they "Have profile information" on the Classmate Profiles screen unless there is really a PROFILE that has been created for the classmate.

This might solve the "Superlatives" problem. A new profile question could be created, "Voted Most Likely to" and then the answer can be filled in by the admin. If the THIRD radio button is selected, these would display. When the classmate edited their profile, they could blank this line out if they wanted.

Friday, April 3, 2009 at 4:58 PM - Response #9

I'm just concerned there that yet another option makes things even more complex. I think we can 'fix' it though. The ONLY things on the details page that cause that checkmark to appear are city, state, or country being entered. If you don't enter those things, then you have to actually complete something on the PROFILE page to get that checkmark to appear. Why don't we just make city, state, and country on the Details screen not trigger the checkmark to display? Would that work for you?

Friday, April 3, 2009 at 5:14 PM - Response #10

That might work. But checking radio button 2, when I click on a classmate who has SOMETHING, city, state, country, or any profile information, then I don't get the JOIN NOW message. I could probably live with that.

Classmates clicking on a classmate they don't remember would like to see his picture. If they also see at that time "no yearbook picture, but name was on graduation program", they would then know I have tried to find a picture.

Edited 04/03/09 5:15 PM
Friday, April 3, 2009 at 5:25 PM - Response #11

So you are saying that the CITY, STATE, COUNTRY on the Details page are the exact same fields in the database as the PROFILE PAGE CITY, STATE, and COUNTRY? If you change them on one page, they change on the other page?

Friday, April 3, 2009 at 6:16 PM - Response #12

Yes that is correct. You can change it in one and see it in the other, you got it. Note, when that second radio button is selected, we no longer display the big join message. But we do display a more subtle message at the bottom of the Profile encouraging the actual Classmate him or herself to "ppdate your profile here" basically. So people do still join from that page the same as always.

To make this simple for now we just took our geographic info triggering the green checkmark when the second radio button is selected. That stuff really isn't "Profile information" so to speak, it's really contact information. Now that I did that I have zero doubt somebody WILL want the checkmark to appear if they've only entered a city name let's say, and if I'm right and that happens then we arrive right back in the scenario of creating another option here, which I may have to do. For now I'm going to consider it closed until such time I hear somebody does want geograph info to trigger the green checkmark when ONLY geographic info has been provided by an Admin.

Whew! I'm going to Olive Garden. This who topic calls for an Italian Margarita.

Tuesday, April 7, 2009 at 6:48 PM - Response #13

So, has any kind of resolution been reached here yet as far as an admin-only editable field is concerned?

Thanks!

Tuesday, April 7, 2009 at 7:35 PM - Response #14

We're going to do the mouseover thing due to space limitations. It may not be obvious you can mouse over a Classmate's name to get more info, so once this is live you may want to point it out to people on your home page.

Wednesday, April 8, 2009 at 12:08 PM - Response #15

Brad Switzer wrote:

We're going to do the mouseover thing due to space limitations. It may not be obvious you can mouse over a Classmate's name to get more info, so once this is live you may want to point it out to people on your home page.

Sounds good...now we wait.
Wink

Vicki

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.