ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Subscription Options  

Log out link

Forums: Suggestions and Feedback
Created on: 08/09/14 01:34 PM Views: 1767 Replies: 16
Saturday, August 9, 2014 at 1:34 PM

I understand having "Log Out" under Member Functions and am sure many use it. However, it is lost on sites with many pages. Though only visible on the home page, it makes sense to find a log out link where it says you are logged in.

Of course, I would keep the log out under Member Functions. This would give members a visible log out option when on the home page and the other should they be on another page.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLnn_orGkRM&hd=1

Saturday, August 9, 2014 at 5:12 PM - Response #1

You can actually do that by creating your own Log Out page Idea

If CC doesn't mind I can show how to do that. I made a "Log Out" at the top left for exactly the reason you gave (it can actually be placed anywhere like any other page). Works just like the CC logout - although if you are not logged in it is restricted.

The only difference that if someone disabled redirects it won't work. However, standard CC Log Out is still there too.

Saturday, August 9, 2014 at 5:50 PM - Response #2

Jack, please proceed.

Saturday, August 9, 2014 at 5:54 PM - Response #3

While I appreciate some of the ways to get around things, this should not be one of them. Where there is a log-in, there should be a log-out. Yours being at the top of your left column works... but... it is odd. Anyone who knows anything about web sites is going to think we have a less than decent site or wonder how much the person running the site knew when they added that in a place that is clearly a page link menu.

I understand you added the link to make it happen for you, Jack. It just does not make sense - especially since there is another log-out under Member Functions. Two log-outs on the left?

I would hope it would take 15 minutes or less to add a log-out to the upper right of the home page. Then again, there can always be a reason not to do that.

Thanks for the reply, Jack! Smile

Saturday, August 9, 2014 at 6:00 PM - Response #4

I know how you feel where the logout function should be. When I'm on Ebay, I have a devil of a time logging out because it's so hard to find the link.

Saturday, August 9, 2014 at 6:25 PM - Response #5

This method can be used in various ways. This is just the easiest and fits in with the way you can put links anywhere, side or top. If you wanted to, could be made a graphic anywhere and then the same code would be in an html file in your file vault. I think it's pretty obvious. (Of course for FBCC it doesn't apply.)

Create a new link and call it Log Out. Then edit the new link page content.

Next put the CC editor in html mode - Exclamation don't forget to do this Exclamation - that's the icon in the 3rd row, 3rd from the right side. Then paste in this code and save. First line is a comment warning since if you don't do this, the editor will log you out Twisted Evil

Put the link where you want it by dragging it around (one of the nicest things CC added lately).

Test Wink

P.S. Password protect the page so it works only for logged in members.

(As an aside, I used to have TWO home page links before CC made it so we could rearrange links - not really that unusual to have multiple links that do the same thing on a page. Never got a single question from anyone on the dups.)

Edited 08/09/14 6:37 PM
Saturday, August 9, 2014 at 7:07 PM - Response #6

I would give it a try only if it placed the log out somewhere it did not look out of place. The link space at the top is a prime spot. Those using designs with top links COULD add it there. Still, it should not take a link space and should be visible... anyone have a suggestion where it could fit other than a link?

Saturday, August 9, 2014 at 7:17 PM - Response #7

There is NO standard for where the Log Out is on a site. Nor where the Home Page link resides. Or where a Log In resides. Indeed, a lot of commercial sites make it hard to figure out as noted above. So how can it be "out of place"?

So long as it's at the top and easily visible it works. For me it was more for convenience. Pretty sure this is more or less the same as learning where links are on one's site in the first place.

Sure I could place it anywhere but the code to do that involves CSS. I could easily do that since I've already done that with the right side but KISS has advantages.

If the concern is taking up a link space, make it a sublink of the home page, so it's only visible on a hover. That's also done on many commercial sites.

Or like I explained, make it a graphic. Lots of ways, the key is the mechanism given.

Edited 08/09/14 7:24 PM
Saturday, August 9, 2014 at 7:33 PM - Response #8

So while Jack was back to reply, I had three sites opened and decided to input a Log Out page.

Take a look at it HERE.

Are you ready for thisQuestion

It looks okay in the menus across the top. Having the Contact Us in that location has been a plus on the sites, so I am reluctant to give up that space.

So we may have to give up 'real estate' to have something that should have been better located. Yet I do not see it looking good in the left menu.... my opinion.

Edited 08/09/14 7:33 PM
Saturday, August 9, 2014 at 7:35 PM - Response #9

OK, for kicks I just made it a subset of the Home link - so it's now "invisible" - let's see if I get any complaints Confused (IOW takes up no "real estate")

IMO, there's no real need to Log Out for most of us - for those few with multiple sites, yes they need to log out, but I suspect they know how to do that. I stay logged in to all my sites until I close the browser.

Edited 08/09/14 7:39 PM
Saturday, August 9, 2014 at 7:41 PM - Response #10

Many of us are very much aware of there not being a standard. Yet more and more, I am finding log out links on every site I log into; more often than not, they are at or close to the top of the page - always in view no matter what page the one logged in is on. This is why I chose the far right link space on the top menu - IF I use it.

I totally get KISS... but y'all can change it to what it should be here as no one is the final S. Just Keeping It Simple.

I am off to write a new member of the alumni site who has a very interesting life and position... I hope to learn more.

Jack Vermeulen wrote:

There is NO standard for where the Log Out is on a site. Nor where the Home Page link resides. Or where a Log In resides.

Edited 08/09/14 7:42 PM
Saturday, August 9, 2014 at 7:47 PM - Response #11

Gwen, if it's not a standard then it's whatever a site wants to do. There is no Right or Wrong. It's like the number of links or the length of web pages - more important to discuss. It's hit and miss. Hover links are common. See this LINK for a common method.

(btw - KISS is a very common saying and nothing personal is involved. I bet that's been said 100's of times in this forum and billion of times in the world.)

Edited 08/09/14 9:50 PM
Sunday, August 10, 2014 at 12:34 PM - Response #12

I was thinking about the flip side of this topic - the Log In box. I'm sure there were good reasons back then since things have rapidly evolved since. However, the Log In box takes up valuable space!

Moving it to a more or less conventional Log In tab (vs the big dialog) would open up the home page enormously for all users, improves the look, simplifies 'size' issues and make it sync better with FB. (Lots of examples around, including FB)

Similarly, like FB mods by CC, the "side" stuff gets moved down.

Anyway, just something that IMO is more relevant than the Log Out box.

Edited 08/10/14 12:34 PM
Sunday, August 10, 2014 at 1:42 PM - Response #13

I keep thinking about the single lines across the top of some sites I use. Then I look at my sites and do not like how it would take away from the design. I like what I see now but maybe that is because it has looked like that the past four years.

Say we were to use link space as the following:

- top menu designs: far right position (5th position)
- side menus: top position (I really dislike this look and how odd it is to have to look over and across the page/site.)

If this were to replace the current log in box, it could work like this:

When logged out, the link is Log-In. Click on Log-in takes you to the log in page -- as seen when someone not logged in clicks on a restricted page.

Once logged in, the link shows as Log Out.

Due to how bad (I think) the side menu idea is, maybe one day the idea of a line across all sites at the top makes sense like this:

Favicon is far left (if site has one) for ID purposes.
Fill-in boxes for: Email & Password
Forgot Password link
Log-in Button
Join Here link

When logged in, the option becomes "Log Out".

As this might/would require change in all designs, it would have to be on the programmer's list right now. Seeing as so many ideas have become part of admin options, this too might be one the options given as to design choices.

Hark! The more I think about it... the more I might like the option across the top.
Cool

Sunday, August 10, 2014 at 4:28 PM - Response #14

I don't understand. You are implying that ALL links be contained in just a top line without any control? That can work for some sites, but not all. Did you mean that all sites have these new top link but also the side links as now? It wasn't very clear.

You CAN put the Log Out on the top and not lose any space. I did it as I explained above. Can't see adding dedicated links for the purposes you list. That can either be in a slideout section (as I did the Log Out) or just in the dialog as it is now when Log In is selected.

The main issue with the current Log In is that it takes up the right side and makes the home page area completely different from all the other pages. Plus doesn't match FB Idea

Which reminds me, FB has a fixed top menu. It brings up an area I can't control - "What's New" is forced on me. I just don't want it (unless I can't find how to disable that).

The worry about the Log Out is not nearly as big a deal as the Log In size. As I said, I never Log Out (nor do I for any site that's entertainment). It's not like a bank or other financial type of site. They just log you out after a certain amount of time with no activity.

That's another idea. CC could provide an option to force Log Outs after a variable amount of time from Never to 1 minute - if somehow Log Outs are a problem. I rarely see people logged in who are not really there (mainly admins), so I suspect they know how to Log Out Cool (Has anyone ever emailed you asking how to Log Out? That's how I decide to modify my programs - users don't know how to do something and ask me.)

Check out how you Log Out on FB. If anything, it should match THAT Exclamation

Gwen Corey wrote:

maybe one day the idea of a line across all sites at the top makes sense like this:

Sunday, August 10, 2014 at 4:47 PM - Response #15

This is one of many I see in my weekly online tasks and is simply meant as a sample. This would look good on any site at the very top as it takes little space and little away from the site design. (Color would work as with the design color.)

Without stretching the above, it has:
To the left: a Logo followed by site/page name.
On the right: "Logged in as : (email address)" then - "Log Out"

SIMPLE. Easy to find for all... especially those who are not aware of such a thing as a drop down menu. Most importantly, it sets us apart from being just another social media site.

IF we must do as other sites do... and I am very tired of the thinking that everything about our sites should be like Facebook... it seems your typical social media sites use a drop down from above. ex. Facebook, Pinterest and Twitter to name a few.

This is as much time as I have right now to give to something that is obviously not happening for some time. If you want a debate, I'm not in that club... thanks.
Cool

Sunday, August 10, 2014 at 9:18 PM - Response #16

That's an odd thing to say. The very nature of your original post is a debate Gwen. Aren't you questioning (debating) the way it's done? Yes?

The key to a good interface is Consistency. It's not that FB is good or bad, just that to mimic FB would be consistent.

There really is no need for an upfront Log Out. The way to "debate" is to explain why and when a Log Out is used.

Do you get anyone asking you how to Log Out? It's never been a topic in all the time I've been on these forums.

Like I said, the Log In is a much bigger deal, which you now are including since I brought it up but initially it was all about the "Log Out". You are changing the direction of the OP without acknowledging the issue I brought up.

I'm sorry that you take it as a confrontation. I draw from a lifetime of Windows GUI experience - which really in terms of interface design is exactly the same.

It's what I did and actually still do. That's why our site is much different from all the other CC sites Idea I could even redo it more, but there's a point of diminishing returns since the FB side won't accept the CSS changes. That's where KISS (in the accepted common interpretation - often used by Brad) comes in. But I'm happy with how it looks.

Hence I propose the concept of making CC and FBCC more alike so that they look and feel closer to the same and work the same. Makes classmates happier. I thought you said earlier you liked FBCC when it first came out?

Gwen Corey wrote:

If you want a debate, I'm not in that club... thanks.
Cool

Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.