ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Subscription Options  

View Profile of a Deceased Classmate

Forums: Suggestions and Feedback
Created on: 07/20/18 12:13 AM Views: 4320 Replies: 7
Friday, July 20, 2018 at 12:13 AM

Am I doing something wrong? How do classmates access and view the Classmate Profiles of deceased classmates? We have deceased classmates with details, photos, etc. on their profiles that others would still like to view. When I go to Classmates Profiles and click on their name, it takes me directly to their listing on the In Memory Of page that only shows a linked obit, a single photo, and any comments/posts others may have left about memories and such. Is there a way to have both: their completed classmate profile with photos, details, etc. AND their obit page? Thanks.

Edited 07/20/18 12:26 AM
Friday, July 20, 2018 at 12:45 AM - Response #1

This is an easy fix and is part of creating the In Memory entry for the classmate:.

1. Admin Functions
2. Edit Site Pages
3. for In Memory page, click on Edit Page
4. select classmate's name and click Add Selected Deceased Classmate
5. Under Add our Classmates Details, check the box for Link to Profile (as the note says, this will "append link to bottom of our Classmates entry back to Classmates last profile."

After you complete the In Memory entry, click on the classmate's In Memory page. At the bottom you'll see "Click here to see xxxx's last Profile entry."

Friday, July 20, 2018 at 1:01 AM - Response #2

Thank you Scott Moore. I followed your fantastic directions and it worked. It's too bad, though, that if someone wanted to see their profile via the Classmates Profile page that it takes them to the In Memory Of page and not their actual profile.

I do see the link at the bottom of the Memory page, but it is such tiny print and not self-explanatory/user-friendly.

When I click on that tiny link hiding at the bottom, it doesn't show the classmate profile so that it looks like all of the "living" classmates.

This does help, though, and I really appreciate it.

Friday, July 20, 2018 at 1:59 AM - Response #3

Meg, thanks for your kind words. I think what Class Creator has done for In Memory entries, which allows the last profile entry to be viewed, is a good compromise.

Creating outstanding In Memory entries for deceased classmates is the best way to honor them. Having their last profile entry available for viewing is icing on the cake, in my opinion.

Most obituaries become archived after one year, requiring someone to pay to see it, so on our site, I never put a link to the obituary in the In Memory text box. Instead, I hand-type the obituary in the In Memory text box so that it may be viewed in perpetuity. If you feel the last profile link at the bottom of the page is not visible enough, you could add a comment in the In Memory text box directing readers to it.

I do post a short-term notice of a classmate's passing on our Latest News page, with a link to the obituary. This post remains active for 60 days and alerts readers that the classmate has passed away and allows them to comment in the obituary's guest book.

Edited 07/20/18 5:11 AM
Friday, July 20, 2018 at 10:29 AM - Response #4

Scott,

Thanks for replying.

You don't have to "hand type" the obituary, you can copy it from the online obituary, then paste it into Notepad or some other editor. This will remove hidden and formatting codes. Then copy it from Notepad and paste it into your In Memory entry and it is a lot quicker than typing it and you only get the text.

Friday, July 20, 2018 at 2:36 PM - Response #5
ViewProfile.jpg

There is one other way to 'capture' an obit - which may include a photo or other graphics. You can use Snippit (or Alt-Print Screen) to copy what you see on the screen to Windows hidden clip board, and then paste that into a photo editor and save it on your PC. Then use the Image button in the editor to upload that photo into the In Memory entry.

Meg, when you click the box that says it will append a link to the profile at the bottom of all In Memory posts for that member, it also displays "View Profile" in the header bar (Name on the left, "View Profile" on the right) for anyone who's logged in. That is also a link to the profile which works the same as the link at the bottom, and at least here it displays the profile just like any other profile.

Friday, July 20, 2018 at 3:07 PM - Response #6

Kyle, thanks for that time-saving tip to avoid hand typing an obituary!

Friday, July 20, 2018 at 5:54 PM - Response #7

Scott, The way you were doing it sounded way too hard. I hope I save you some time!

Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.