ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Suggestions for admin functions

Forums: Suggestions and Feedback
Created on: 07/24/14 01:02 PM Views: 1142 Replies: 5
Thursday, July 24, 2014 at 1:02 PM

Running a site, particularly when things are busy such as during a reunion, requires a lot of behind the scenes activities. Right now I am doing a lot of the website support. There are two people backing me up and doing other functions. There is another person doing financial support.

To do this requires requires a lot of communications, supporting Paypal transactions, maintaining lists, etc. plus handling the website. To do this we've actually put up another website complete with email (primarily for things like domain registration and Paypal) so we have common and stable email addresses and cloud storage (to share files so we can all see the information and so all can maintain pieces of the info).

I've got to believe that all of your users out there have similar needs and problems. Rather than having another complete website and pay for it, I would much rather have something that's part of admin functions on this website and pay you for it. It would seem that adding the capability to have say 5 email addresses that are user configured plus storage access to have some file storage would not be that difficult for you to do. I'm sure that an added feature that has added income would be attractive to you.

Balls in your court!!

Thursday, July 24, 2014 at 11:20 PM - Response #1

Thanks Mark. Several options here:

1) Sign up for Platinum. This program comes with up to 10 custom configurable POP3 email addresses. You can do this by clicking your Subscription link.
2) If you don't want to sign up for Platinum you can purchase a Pop Pak at classnames.net. 10 configurable email addresses come in a Pop Pak. You can buy as many Pop Paks as you want.
3) If you only need email forwarding to existing email addresses, and your domain is at ClassNames.net, up to 100 forwards is free.

Regarding the behind the scenes question, most Root Admins turn on the Admin Forums for this. Here admins can talk together, plan, etc. entirely outside the view of the classmates. You can also upload files to this forum for all to download. Admins of course can also access your regular File Vault, so any files you upload here can be easily shared simply by providing other admins a link.

Thursday, July 24, 2014 at 11:50 PM - Response #2

Hi Mark,

If I may... I have a couple thoughts.

1) There are many clouds with free space. I've used Dropbox for a few years. BOX just came with my new laptop and I may have another bookmarked... just in case I want another.

2) The Admin Forums under Admin Functions works to communicate with your team. A different thread for different topics.

As I wrote, just a couple thoughts.
Cool

Friday, July 25, 2014 at 12:15 AM - Response #3

All sounds good to me. I can't find anything on Pop Paks or how to order/pay for them. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Friday, July 25, 2014 at 12:28 AM - Response #4

I think this is it, Mark.

http://classnames.net/email-pop-webmail/

POP is for email and 10 = pack
POP Pak... a pak of 10 emails.

Just my guess. I know nothing about emails. Wink

Friday, July 25, 2014 at 7:49 PM - Response #5

I set up Google Apps on our domain for email, shared documents and calendars, etc. It has been working wonderfully for us.

Unfortunately, Google no longer offers a free version of Google Apps to the general public, although schools and 501(c)(3) nonprofits qualify for Google Apps for Education. If you know someone with a grandfathered free Apps account who has user accounts to spare, you may be able to piggyback (one Apps account can manage multiple domains).

Microsoft used to be a good free alternative, but no longer.

As of now, Zoho is still an option—it will host ten email accounts on your domain for free.

Edited 07/26/14 1:29 PM
New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.