ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Subscription Options  

Co-Admins Not Getting Updated Contact Info

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 12/16/14 02:30 PM Views: 1729 Replies: 25
Tuesday, December 16, 2014 at 2:30 PM
Admin Permissions.JPG

I have given a couple co-admins what I thought was permission (as shown in the attachment) to receive e-mail notification from the site of contact information changes made by any classmate. I get them but they are not receiving such notifications. Have I made an incorrect assumption in what checking certain boxes means or is there another location for granting such permissions?

Thursday, December 18, 2014 at 12:14 PM - Response #1

Your image shows the correct settings. Can you tell me the last name of the admins who are not receiving the messages so I can check into this matter further on this end?

Thanks,

Jessica
Class Creator Support

Thursday, December 18, 2014 at 12:27 PM - Response #2

Kinsman

Friday, December 19, 2014 at 12:18 PM - Response #3

Let's start with the obvious. Did Kinsman check her America Online spam folder? AOL is one of the providers we've had a higher degree of issues with. Spam filtering and other things. Some of these quick notice messages can be easily flagged as spam.

Edited 12/20/14 12:04 AM
Friday, December 19, 2014 at 1:35 PM - Response #4

We just had another contact info update for which I got notification today. I'll check with her and mention the spam folder. That may be it but she seems to get all other messages from the site ok.

Additionally I set my wife up to receive contact info updates on the vsr2720 site and she isn't getting them either. Her e-mail is gmail.

Saturday, December 20, 2014 at 12:05 PM - Response #5

Kinsman got notification of the latest contact info update by a classmate.

My test case on vsr2720 hasn't though.

Saturday, December 20, 2014 at 12:19 PM - Response #6

Did she also look in spam folder? Unfortunately some of these quick notices are often flagged. If she finds it in spam let me know. Maybe we can do something with the message body itself to make it appear less "spammy". The fact Kinsman got her notice suggests there is nothing wrong with the function. I think we're dealing with standard email deliverability issues here.

Saturday, December 20, 2014 at 1:44 PM - Response #7

Nothing in spam. Other messages from the site received without trouble.

Saturday, December 20, 2014 at 2:35 PM - Response #8

Can you have her add an ALT email address anywhere other than Google? I'm just curious if Google is blocking the entire email. I'd like to know if the next notice does not get received at Gmail once again, but does at the ALT address.

Saturday, December 20, 2014 at 4:27 PM - Response #9

If Gmail is literally blocking, one doesn't get ANY email from that IP server address. -0- And neither would anyone else that is a gmail user.

The user can filter/block a specific address (go to trash), but obviously that's not the case here if other messages are being received.

AFAIK, Gmail also would send your server a message indicating a block.

Saturday, December 20, 2014 at 5:30 PM - Response #10

I have confirmed that Gmail blocked this specific email due to the email content:

[69.41.172.121 12] Our system has detected that this message
is 550-5.7.1 likely unsolicited mail. To reduce the amount of spam sent to
Gmail, 550-5.7.1 this message has been blocked

I'll contact Gmail. We may need to reconfigure the message itself to see if this helps.

Saturday, December 20, 2014 at 7:24 PM - Response #11

And there you go Cool Gmail will NOT tell you what is triggering here though.

Might be a significant risk here to keep sending too many "What's New" messages using current methods.

Saturday, December 20, 2014 at 8:09 PM - Response #12

I agree Jack. I think it's important to make ALL outgoing emails contain as much real content as possible. We can manually get over some of these hurdles by contacting email providers after the problem occurs. Better to never experience the problem at all of course.

Sunday, December 21, 2014 at 2:19 PM - Response #13

I got the contact info change notification at my gmail account. My wife did not get it at either her Primary gmail account nor the Alternate yahoo account that you suggested I add.

Note: I did not get e-mail notification that responses 9 thru 12 had been added to this thread. I just saw them as a result of accessing it to inform you of the results after the Alternate was added. In general I'm finding that notifications from this forum are very spotty. Many times I'll get notification of a post that is very old after someone else responds to it at a much later date.

Edited 12/21/14 2:26 PM
Sunday, December 21, 2014 at 3:34 PM - Response #14

Agree ... Many posts from Brad are never received. Seems this started with the switch to a new provider and slowly is getting worse. Maybe the WN traffic is overloading the email server?

What's even odder is I got a "test" message sent 7/27/2013 yesterday. So that's over a YEAR old.

F C Bock wrote:

In general I'm finding that notifications from this forum are very spotty. Many times I'll get notification of a post that is very old after someone else responds to it at a much later date.

Sunday, December 21, 2014 at 6:51 PM - Response #15

I set up a quick test on your site itself. I'll remove myself when the test is complete.

This is just a theory: I noticed this post was never approved. I'm not sure why. We approve most things out to the email list unless there's really a good reason not to. I wonder if master posts that don't get approved don't send subsequent emails even if somebody is participating. That could explain this. I'll run a test. These forums are third party code we installed many years ago.

Sunday, December 21, 2014 at 7:04 PM - Response #16

All right, I did this from your own site just in case there's any reason your own site had anything to do with it (doubtful but I thought I'd be certain). I added me, didn't confirm my email, made a quick change to admin's contact info, then verified my email, then changed it back.

I got 3 emails in this order:

1) Email verification email
2) First contact info change email
3) Second contact info change email

I can only surmise that emails providers like Gmail are not liking the formatting of this particular email notice. This is an issue with this particular email format and has nothing to do with email volume or anything like that. In fact I received all 3 of my emails virtually instantly the actual emails are being sent through the system just fine, and fast. This is solely an issue with deliverability to the receiving email provider. I'm certain of it.

Sunday, December 21, 2014 at 7:45 PM - Response #17

Brad, why didn't you make/use a GMAIL account for this test??

P.S. Gmail sends emails to SPAM folder, not block them. Blocking is sometimes done, but that's a whole different ballgame. I get about 30 in my spam folder a day. The wording from gmail is
LINK

The last issue is that a single test when volume is low (or whatever) since I'm now getting instant forum messages - is not conclusive. IOW, CC email is very sporadic. I'm certain of that Cool

Edited 12/21/14 7:53 PM
Sunday, December 21, 2014 at 8:01 PM - Response #18

No, they block this one entirely. Yes I'm sure others are sent to spam. I tested to ensure the email really is going out on this site. It is. I already know Gmail is blocking it. I'm very aware of the issues here and am on them now. Thanks.

Sunday, December 21, 2014 at 8:17 PM - Response #19

Yes, I know they blocked it (a different thing nonetheless) because you gave the quote above. But that doesn't answer why you didn't use GMAIL.

You'd then KNOW FOR SURE what is going on.

Sunday, December 21, 2014 at 8:33 PM - Response #20

I got the New Classmate Notification for you to my gmail account but neither of the contact change notifications that you made. Scratch that. I didn't see the contact change notifications because I was looking for your name not mine in the e-mail listings

I'm making a telephone number change to one of my classmates right now. I'll report on whether I get a notification or not.

Edited 12/21/14 8:47 PM
Sunday, December 21, 2014 at 10:28 PM - Response #21

If I used gmail I'd expect it to be blocked, thus I wouldn't be able to receive my test. That's all. Smile

Sunday, December 21, 2014 at 10:30 PM - Response #22

But you could check your server and see if you got a block message Brad (as you did before. That indicates the message was sent, right Idea

So you would have gotten BOTH answers where you now only have one.

Sunday, December 21, 2014 at 10:41 PM - Response #23

Ok. Smile

Monday, December 22, 2014 at 2:47 AM - Response #24

I'm not sure why gmail is considered to be the problem. I use it and have gotten the notifications. It's co-admins who have not been getting them.

I'll add my wife as a co-admin on the '58 site also. That way there will be no confusion as to whether or not notification has been received. I can at this point state unequivocally that she has not received notifications from the vsr2720 site where her primary e-mail is gmail and her alternate e-mail is yahoo.

Monday, December 22, 2014 at 7:14 AM - Response #25

Maybe better stated, Gmail is a problem, not *the* problem. There may be other problems. There's plenty of reason to believe the formatting of the email itself is a problem. i.e. it's getting detected as spam, which in some cases causes it to be blocked entirely (not even sent to somebody's spam folder). Yet it other cases it seems to get through.

Bear in mind while the email is a template, it's always going to be a bit different each time because it's populated with different data. My best theory is the email structure itself walks the line on whether it is detected as spam or not, and the content the email is filled with either pushes it over the edge, or not.

This is only a theory. Whenever you have sporadic email delivery like this it can be hard to pin down the problem. Once thing I'm confident of is the email is being sent to co-admins (who are marked correctly for this email) in every case when an address update has been made.

It may be prudent to try removing a lot of the html from that email and go with a more text-based email. We're essentially emailing people a big html table. A text based email wouldn't look quite as pretty nor have the same structure to hold it together, but it might beat the spam filter more. Let me look into that.

Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.