ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Display of Profile Info - 3 problems

Forums: Questions and Answers About Building Your Site
Created on: 04/19/14 09:58 PM Views: 871 Replies: 35
Saturday, April 19, 2014 at 9:58 PM

Before I decided to use Class Creator, I fought tooth & nail to collect profile data on each of our classmates. I then spent over a week manually entering all of that profile data for each classmate who submitted their information.
1) Now, that manually-entered profile data only displays for me, and not for the classmate in step 2 of the Join Process or on the 'Edit Profile' screen for the classmate. This occurs when I check the box 'Do not show Admin-entered Classmate Profile details prior to classmate joining the site' on the 'Manage Classmates' page.
2) I can get the admin-entered profile data to display if I choose
'Show Admin-entered Classmate Profile details prior to classmate joining the site', on the 'Manage Classmates' page. But then, all classmate profile data is displayed for anyone who has our web address - not just members. This is not acceptable.
3) If I leave the 'Manage Classmates' page set as described in 2) above, and password-protect the 'Classmate Profiles' page (which I read why it is not recommended), then the 'Join Here' button displaying on the Profile Page goes nowhere. It does not go to the 'Missing Classmates' page as instructions said it would. If a classmate has already joined and logs on when the 'Join Here' button is displayed, other classmates' profile data is displayed for that logged-in classmate, but the logged-in classmate's profile data does not display. Please help!!

Edited 04/19/14 10:00 PM
Saturday, April 19, 2014 at 10:43 PM - Response #1

1) This is functioning correctly. Info only shows if you've clicked the second radio button to specify it to show.

2) While you're entering the Profile data I suggest you toggle each profile to be visible by only your classmates (at Profile bottom). This way only joined members can see info.

3) If Classmates Profiles is restricted, and Missing Classmates is not restricted, then the system should take the user to Missing Classmates when the Join Here button is clicked. I tested this on your site and you are correct: for some reason it is not. I am turning this issue over to Programming and will respond back here when I have an answer.

Saturday, April 19, 2014 at 11:26 PM - Response #2

Thanks for your reply Brad.
None of my classmates have joined yet. So regarding your suggestion in 2) above, if I try to check the box for Profile Visibility I get this message:
You are attempting to turn on a security feature for a Classmate who has not yet joined your site. This security feature is intended for Classmates to turn on after joining your site. If you turn on this option before this Classmate has had a chance to join, it will prevent the Classmate from ever joining (each Classmate must join the site from the bottom of his or her own Profile, and if you turn this on then the Classmate will not be able to see his or her own Profile, and thus unable to join your site). For this reason it is strongly recommended that you uncheck this box and leave this Profile public until this Classmate has had a chance to join. (Recommendation: Do not enter any confidential information into this Profile before the Classmate has had a chance to join.) The only exception to this is if you expect this Classmate to never join your site, and you are planning to maintain this Profile on behalf of this Classmate.
I don't think toggling Profile Visibility is what I want to do.
Since all of my previously-entered profile information is considered confidential, hopefully fixing the bug in 3) above will resolve my problem. I look forward to your notification that the problem has been fixed.

Sunday, April 20, 2014 at 11:05 AM - Response #3

Yes, if you leave the Profiles open, but lock down the Classmate Profiles page, and then the glitch is fixed logged out viewers are properly taken to the Missing Classmates page to join, you'll be all set. Should be fixed early this coming week.

Sunday, April 20, 2014 at 2:16 PM - Response #4

Perfect! Thank you!

Saturday, April 26, 2014 at 11:55 AM - Response #5

Brad, what is the status of this bug fix? You stated it would be completed early this week.

Saturday, April 26, 2014 at 10:48 PM - Response #6

Set here.

Saturday, April 26, 2014 at 11:45 PM - Response #7

This is still not working correctly.
1) On homepage, if a non-member clicks the 'Join Here' button in the Login box, it correctly directs to the 'Missing' page, but clicking on the classmate name directs to the 'Restricted' page with the 'Join Here' button instead of to the classmate's profile. Clicking on the 'Join Here' button one time does nothing as before, clicking it a second time loops back to the 'Missing' page.
2) On homepage, if a non-member tries to click on 'Classmate Profiles', it correctly directs to the 'Restricted' page, and clicking on the 'Join Here' button correctly directs to the 'Missing Page', but clicking on the classmate name loops back to the 'Restricted' page instead of directing to the classmate profile.

Sunday, April 27, 2014 at 12:53 AM - Response #8

Works ok for some; eg Shannon Bailey (Blount), Sam Baker, Gail Levitt (Weltman) but not for others; eg Gina Abroms (Genz), Kathy Akin (Parsons), Nancy Lazarus (Denney).

Sunday, April 27, 2014 at 1:11 AM - Response #9

The reason it seems to work correctly for some is because Profile data has not yet been received thus entered for them.

Tuesday, April 29, 2014 at 1:19 PM - Response #10

Try it again.

Tuesday, April 29, 2014 at 2:32 PM - Response #11

The bugs I reported on April 26th are fixed, but on step 2 of the sign-up process, pre-entered profile information is not displayed for the classmate to verify.

Edited 04/29/14 2:48 PM
Tuesday, April 29, 2014 at 4:04 PM - Response #12

Step 2 worked for me in my test.

Tuesday, April 29, 2014 at 4:10 PM - Response #13

It's not working for me. Try joining with my 'Cindy AAtesting' user. Email is canadaycindy@gmail.com. It has pre-entered profile info.

Tuesday, April 29, 2014 at 4:24 PM - Response #14

Does this help explain what is going on? By design, I believe admin entered contact info is not visible to the classmate when joining.

Edited 04/29/14 4:26 PM
Tuesday, April 29, 2014 at 4:37 PM - Response #15

Thanks for your response FC, but I believe Brad Switzer and Scott Mastenbrook have a grasp on my unique situation and are working to resolve it.

Wednesday, April 30, 2014 at 2:43 PM - Response #16

I'm testing this again.

Wednesday, April 30, 2014 at 4:35 PM - Response #17

Cindy - please test this again now.

Thursday, May 1, 2014 at 1:46 PM - Response #18

It looks like my problems have all been corrected! Thank you Scott and Brad for accommodating my particular situation!
By the way, I didn't receive your response #17 from yesterday by email Brad. Your server rejected 3 of my previous replies with fatal errors, so just wanted to make sure you were aware of your server situation. Hopefully it's all been corrected.

Thursday, May 1, 2014 at 1:48 PM - Response #19

Good to hear. Thanks!

Friday, May 2, 2014 at 2:33 PM - Response #20

Scott, I need to be notified when a classmate changes their administrator pre-entered Profile information.
On my Detail Page as administrator, under 'Email Notifications' I have the box checked that says, "Send email notification whenever a classmate joins the site or changes his or her contact information". Does this contact information include their Profile information?

Tuesday, May 6, 2014 at 2:41 PM - Response #21

Yes. This notification should show the changed info. You might also consider adding the New Member Verification from the Preferences page (Set to Do Not Allow), as this will save your info in the event that a member joins and wipes out any info in their join process and then they turn out to not be that person. Yes, it will require you to verify the new members by going to their page and clicking ther verify option, but it might be worth it if you have entered a lot of details.

Tuesday, May 6, 2014 at 3:13 PM - Response #22

If this notification is supposed to include changes to Profile information, then it is not working.
I joined as the 'Cindy AAtesting' user with email address of canadaycindy@gmail.com, went through all 4 steps of the Member Wizard verifying the admin-entered Profile info, verified the email address from the Email Verification message, then logged off.
I, as administrator, did receive the New Classmate Notification by email.
I then logged back on as the 'Cindy AAtesting' user, chose 'Edit Profile' from the Member Functions sidebar, changed some profile info, saw the new profile info displayed, and logged off.
I, as administrator, have not received an e-mail notification of those changes to Cindy AAtesting's Profile.
I thought about subscribing to each of the classmates in 'Profile Subscriptions' (step 3 of Member Wizard), but the individual 'Profile Subscriptions' are not available to me as administrator.

Friday, May 9, 2014 at 4:23 PM - Response #23

Scott, are you guys actively working on this fix? I haven't heard from you in a while, and I'm leaving for Europe on Monday. I'll be back on 5/24. Just wanted to let you know in case you posted a reply and I didn't respond in a timely manner.

Sunday, May 11, 2014 at 1:11 PM - Response #24

Cindy, I went down this path a while back, thinking that profile updates were handled like contact info update. They are not. There is no admin notification for profile updates like there is when someone changes their contact info, other than the normal profile update email everyone gets if they're subscribed to that member.

Sunday, May 11, 2014 at 1:39 PM - Response #25

Thanks for your response John Ralph. If CC won't provide admin notifications when a Profile changes, then we should at least be able to subscribe to each member so we'll get notified somehow.

Sunday, May 11, 2014 at 6:34 PM - Response #26

You can Cindy. Go to your Notify Me, page down, and "Select All". You'll get a notify email whenever there's a profile change.
You may have to check it when someone new joins. Your original "All" does not update automatically.

Sunday, May 11, 2014 at 8:50 PM - Response #27

Thank you John Ralph. I hadn't noticed the 'Notify Me' page. I subscribed to all of the classmates through the 'Notify Me' page, logged off, then logged back on with my testing user. I made Profile changes, and I, as administrator, have not been notified about the testing user's Profile change.
Does this work for you?

Sunday, May 11, 2014 at 9:35 PM - Response #28

I actually did receive an update notification, it just came in about 30 minutes after the change was made. I expected immediately, but I can live with 30 minutes!

Sunday, May 11, 2014 at 10:06 PM - Response #29

Welcome to the 'facepalm' group Cindy. {grin} You are now part of a large and growing group who found out that you either missed something (usually obvious in hindsight) or it was not designed to work as you thought it was. I was inducted on my second post when Gwen welcomed me to the group. I've learned a lot since then, and still occasionally get my membership renewed...

At the bottom of the member subscription part of the Notify Me page, you can select whether you want Immediate notifies or Once Daily. I don't remember now which is the default, but in any case even "Immediate" sometimes takes a while. And Once Daily can also take a while after it kicks off around 5am the next day.

And yes, this does work for me. It's unfortunately not as specific as the admin notify for Details which gives you a before and after, but at least you know something changed. If it's something like an added photo, you might have to dig a little to figure out what changed though.

In fact, a while back when there were problems with some notifies, I set up a test user with all Notify options (including classmate subscriptions) set to Once Daily. Her name is Ima Test, and I normally keep her set as 'hidden' unles I need to temporarily change her to a member or guest to test something. And my admin id has all the notifies set to Immediate.

I kept the test user to be able to see what non-admins can see and do, and even though Notifies are working now for the most part, I still get duplicates as a cross-check to be sure that both Immediates and Once Dailys were generated.

Sunday, May 11, 2014 at 10:22 PM - Response #30

Good idea John. Thanks!

Monday, May 12, 2014 at 12:04 AM - Response #31

John, Ima member of 'facepalm', too! Cool

Monday, May 12, 2014 at 12:07 AM - Response #32

Ahhh, 'Ima' member, too! Wink

Monday, May 12, 2014 at 12:11 AM - Response #33

But you see, this site has been around longer than the other two, so this admin says, "Ima charter member of facepalm!"
Smile

Hope all of the moms in your life had a good Mom's Day 2014!

Whoops. Forgot my class site came up with my CC logo. See, everyone has a moment. Happy day!

Edited 05/12/14 12:13 AM
Monday, May 12, 2014 at 1:14 AM - Response #34

I suspect we all are Gwen. Some more visibly than others. But we all learn as we go - sometimes as we find that something we 'knew' changed...

Monday, May 12, 2014 at 2:18 PM - Response #35

Good one, John. Things have been changing since the first sliced bread! Smile

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.